SPOKANE, Wash. — BYU women's basketball fell to Gonzaga 68-42 Thursday evening on the road at the McCarthey Athletic Center.
"We need to be more aggressive on offense and shoot more," BYU head coach Jeff Judkins said. "Having Jennifer (Hamson) in foul trouble for most of the game hurt us in our defensive presence, and when that happens we need others to step up. We need to learn from this and get back to the fundamentals."
Sophomore Lexi Eaton was the only Cougar to score in double-digits, ending with 18 points to go with five boards. Ashley Garfield contributed a team-high eight rebounds while Kylie Maeda added three assists.
BYU (13-3, 3-2) finished the game hitting just 31 percent of its shots compared to 40 percent for the Bulldogs (13-3, 3-1). Gonzaga outrebounded the Cougars 43-32 and had more points in the paint, 36-18.
BYU stays on the road to play the Portland Pilots on Saturday at 3 p.m. MT.
NORTHERN COLORADO 68, WEBER STATE 47: At Ogden, the Wildcats (4-8, 0-3) lost their conference home opener falling to Northern Colorado (7-6, 1-3).
Both teams struggled mightily from the floor in the game, but especially in the first half. Weber state shot just 12.5 percent in the first half while the Bears shot 36.7 percent.
The Wildcats were led by freshman guard Deeshyra Thomas who scored 16 points. Senior forward Amanda Hughes added 11 points for the Cats, and junior center Zakiyyah Shahid-Martin pulled in 10 rebounds.
Weber State outrebounded Northern Colorado, 48-45, but the Cats did not take care of the ball well, turning it over 23 times.
The Bears were led by Molly Duehn who scored 18 points while Kim Lockridge added 15 points.
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's unexpected NCAA qualifier...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 113
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 64
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 30
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 13
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8