HARRISBURG, Pa. — A proposed policy to allow weapons in limited areas of the 14-campus Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education needs more work and won't go before the system's board later this month, officials said Thursday.
The system's executive vice chancellor, Peter Garland, said after an hour-long session to collect comments about the policy that additional time will allow officials "to craft what is necessary and in the best interests of our universities."
The draft policy would ban weapons in all buildings, at sports and similar events and at outdoor class meetings and assemblies. Guns generally would be allowed, for example, in outdoor areas and in parked cars.
Some critics, including the faculty union, said the policy was too weak and should be an outright ban, while gun rights supporters said it went too far and would endanger safety.
System Chancellor Frank Brogan said the national legal landscape was in flux, adding to the challenge of establishing a single policy.
"To say that this is an ever ongoing set of shifting-sand scenarios is probably an understatement," he said.
Under the draft, the weapons policy would not apply to police. Violators would be "directed to leave or remove the weapon immediately," and face unspecified "sanctions, discipline or other action as appropriate."
- Heroes 2014: Ex-CIA officer uses...
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan combat
- Bad Santa? 5 tips to tackle your holiday gift...
- Photo gallery: Christmas around the world
- How to help find a cure for Ebola from the...
- Father of pilot captured by Islamic State...
- Obama 's Christmas in Hawaii: Carols, relax...
- Protesters rally for 2nd night after shooting...
- Obama 's Christmas in Hawaii: Carols,... 16
- Going it alone, Obama rocked the boat... 14
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near... 11
- Key developments in the case of slain... 10
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican... 9
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan... 9
- Senate, CIA agree torture program was... 6
- Sony announces limited release for 'The... 5