DALTON NIXON, Orem, boys basketball: Had a monster showing for the Tigers at the VisitMesa.com Tournament in Arizona over the holiday break.
In four games, the BYU commit averaged 25.8 points and 7.5 rebounds as Orem finished with a 2-2 record, falling in overtime and then by two points in its two losses.
Nixon's best game of the tournament came against Chaparral, Ariz., as he scored 34 points in a 67-65 loss.
Nixon, who is a two-time Deseret News first team all-stater, ranks fifth in Utah high school basketball this season with an average of 23.1 points per game and ranks ninth in rebounding at 9.8. He leads 4A in both categories.
MADDI SMITH, Layton, girls basketball: When the Layton Lancers unexpectedly lost a starter the day of their first game, it was senior Maddi Smith who stepped up to take over as scorer and leader.
"That really caught us off guard and sent us for a loop trying to reshuffle our lineup and trying to find team chemistry," said head coach Van Price of losing Teneshia Davison to a family move the day of the team's first game. "Maddi has been a good team captain and team leader, and she's overcome a lot since having hip surgery and missing the entire summer leading up to our season."
Smith, a 5-foot-9 forward scored 21 points in the team's win over Herriman and she scored 22 points in the victory against Bingham. Her efforts as a leader and as a skilled player have the Lancers off to an 8-1 start this season.
She also shot 100 percent from the free-throw line against Bingham with seven rebounds, four steals and three assists.
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 65
- Amy Donaldson: Recent hearings on rules... 9
- High school football: 2016 schedules... 5
- Layton junior high wrestler loses... 3
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300... 1
- Skyridge High School 2016 football... 0
- Ridgeline High School 2016 football... 0
- High school track: Top performances... 0