DALTON NIXON, Orem, boys basketball: Had a monster showing for the Tigers at the VisitMesa.com Tournament in Arizona over the holiday break.
In four games, the BYU commit averaged 25.8 points and 7.5 rebounds as Orem finished with a 2-2 record, falling in overtime and then by two points in its two losses.
Nixon's best game of the tournament came against Chaparral, Ariz., as he scored 34 points in a 67-65 loss.
Nixon, who is a two-time Deseret News first team all-stater, ranks fifth in Utah high school basketball this season with an average of 23.1 points per game and ranks ninth in rebounding at 9.8. He leads 4A in both categories.
MADDI SMITH, Layton, girls basketball: When the Layton Lancers unexpectedly lost a starter the day of their first game, it was senior Maddi Smith who stepped up to take over as scorer and leader.
"That really caught us off guard and sent us for a loop trying to reshuffle our lineup and trying to find team chemistry," said head coach Van Price of losing Teneshia Davison to a family move the day of the team's first game. "Maddi has been a good team captain and team leader, and she's overcome a lot since having hip surgery and missing the entire summer leading up to our season."
Smith, a 5-foot-9 forward scored 21 points in the team's win over Herriman and she scored 22 points in the victory against Bingham. Her efforts as a leader and as a skilled player have the Lancers off to an 8-1 start this season.
She also shot 100 percent from the free-throw line against Bingham with seven rebounds, four steals and three assists.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26