Patrick Semansky, Associated Press
Q: I have a 38-year-old son who has been disabled by cerebral palsy since birth. I plan to apply for retirement benefits. Will he be eligible for benefits as my disabled child?
A: Yes. In general, an adult disabled before age 22 may be eligible for child’s benefits if a parent is deceased or starts receiving retirement or disability benefits. We consider this a “child’s” benefit because we pay it on the parent’s Social Security earnings record.
The “adult child” — including an adopted child, or, in some cases, a stepchild, grandchild, or step grandchild — must be unmarried, age 18 or older, and have a disability that started before age 22.
Q: I just received my first disability payment. How long will I continue to get them?
A: In most cases, you will continue to receive benefits as long as you are disabled. However, there are certain circumstances that may change your continuing eligibility for disability benefits. For example,
Your health may improve to the point where you are no longer disabled; or
Like many people, you would like to go back to work rather than depend on your disability benefits and you are successful in your attempt.
Also, the law requires that we review your case from time to time to verify you are still disabled. We tell you if it is time to review your case, and we also keep you informed about your benefit status. You also should be aware that you are responsible for letting us know if your health improves or you go back to work.
(This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at 800-772-1213. For more information, visit www.socialsecurity.gov. )
© 2014, McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- 4 reasons why you shouldn't shop on Black Friday
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- The best Black Friday deals of 2014
- Can a cash grocery budget save you money?
- Our complete guide to Black Friday, Cyber...
- Immigration reform will boost the economy,...
- Working on Thanksgiving Day? Here's why most...
- 5 things homebuyers should be thankful for...
- Working on Thanksgiving Day? Here's why... 12
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest... 12
- In our opinion: Fear, intentions can... 7
- Immigration reform will boost the... 6
- Thanksgiving trumps Black Friday for deals 4
- Why Salt Lake City is one of the best... 2
- US stocks inch further into record... 1
- 3 Reasons holiday shoppers will spend... 1