David Zalubowski, AP
DENVER (AP) — The two-game suspension of Nuggets guard Andre Miller has been rescinded by the team, though he will remain away from the club until Monday under a newly issued personal leave.
Miller originally was suspended for conduct detrimental to the team by the Nuggets for verbally confronting coach Brian Shaw in the waning minutes of their 114-102 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers on Wednesday night in full view of teammates and fans. It was the eighth consecutive loss for the Nuggets.
Miller reportedly was upset over what became the first "did not play-coach's decision" of his 15-year career.
In a brief statement released Friday, Nuggets general manager Tim Connelly said that Miller would rejoin the team on Monday. He also said that until then, Miller would be excused from all team activities for personal reasons.
Prior to Friday night's game against the Memphis Grizzlies, Shaw said that the club decided it was best to lift the suspension but maintain a sort of cooling off period.
"It's a personal matter and what we wanted to happen was him basically be away from the team for a few days," Shaw said. "The crux of it is the incident that took place, everybody understands that can't happen, and because of that, he'll get time to attend to some personal matters."
Shaw said he has not had any contact with Miller since the episode, but indicated too much had been made about the issue.
"Really, I thought the whole thing was blown out of proportion," Shaw said. "In the heat of the moment, sometimes players say things to coaches, sometimes coaches say things to players. What we try to get to happen is have it happen in the locker room, behind closed doors, within the group.
"It started out on the court and that's what brought attention to it. As far as I'm concerned, it's not a big deal. It really doesn't. I've had the utmost respect for Andre since he was at the University of Utah. Just an unfortunate incident, we're moving on from it."
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- Hawaii trip had benefits for Utah Jazz aside...
- Utah football fans set to camp out for ESPN's...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 39
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 19