CTK, Krumphanzl Michal, Associated Press
PRAGUE — Investigators were working to identify the explosive that killed the Palestinian ambassador, what caused the substance to explode and why it was being kept in an embassy safe, Czech authorities said Thursday.
Ambassador Jamal al-Jamal, 56 died Wednesday of massive injuries from the blast.
Police spokeswoman Andrea Zoulova said on Wednesday that it appeared that the door of the safe had been booby-trapped. It was unclear how al-Jamal tried to open it or what type of safe it was.
On Thursday, Zoulova told The Associated Press that nothing had been found to suggest the diplomat had been a victim of a crime. The country's counterintelligence service, BIS, also said it had no such evidence.
Zoulova declined to give any further details about the safe, citing an ongoing investigation.
Pavel Kolar, the head of Prague's Institute of Criminology, said Thursday that their investigation would take several days at least.
Palestinian Foreign Minister Riad Malki said no foul play was suspected.
Malki said the safe had been left untouched for more than 20 years. However, Palestinian Embassy spokesman Nabil El-Fahel told Czech radio it had been in regular use.
"(The safe) was used on a daily basis at the embassy and it was opened and closed almost every day," he said.
The embassy recently moved to a new complex, and the safe was in the ambassador's residence.
A team of Palestinian experts is expected to participate in the investigation.
Security analyst Andor Sandor said it is very unusual to protect any embassy documents by such excessive force.
During their search, police discovered one more safe at the embassy complex but no other explosives were found.
- A decade after welcoming wind, states reconsider
- 4 eccentric billionaire spending habits
- Chaffetz calls Secret Service resignation...
- Man with Ebola virus flew roundabout trip to US
- White Ohio woman sues over sperm from black...
- Jail ordered for Idaho man in FLDS abuse case
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Charging documents show Phelps DUI tied to...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 40
- Obama: US 'underestimated' Islamic... 24
- New mom Chelsea Clinton celebrates baby... 15
- Chaffetz calls Secret Service... 15
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 14
- Obama seeks traction on economy amid... 14
- Obama goal of Gitmo closure stalled at... 10
- NFL says Husain Abdullah should not... 8