MATT CONWAY, Pleasant Grove, basketball: This 6-foot-6 forward is quickly making a name for himself.
The son of former Utah State forward Danny Conway, this senior led Pleasant Grove to three impressive victories at the MaxPreps Holiday Classic last week scoring 18, 22 and 18 points respectively.
Heading into Monday's championship game in the Vikings' bracket down in Palm Springs, Conway was averaging 21.0 ppg and 9.8 rpg in nine games this season.
"He has an uncommon desire to rebound. As a coach that's one of the hardest things to do is get kids to rebound," said P.G. coach Randy McAllister. "Kids who want to rebound are the best rebounders. Matt just chases the ball and goes and gets it."
Conway is getting recruiting interest from Utah State and Weber State, among a few other out-of-state teams.
WHITTNI ORTON, Panguitch, basketball: Orton's physical stature may not be intimidating to opponents, but her relentless effort and athleticism make her one of the toughest players to face.
"Whittni is a true competitor who does not like to lose," said Panguitch coach Curtis Barney. "Her constant energy and tenacious defense is contagious and trickles down through the whole team."
The sophomore simply has to step onto the court to elevate the intensity level of the entire ream.
"Whittni has the ability to take over games with her great ball handling skills and quickness, who sees the entire floor," Barney said. "She is very unselfish, yet can score at a high percentage. Whittni is counted on to defend the best offensive guard of each opponent we face. She has the unique ability of constant pressure without ever showing signs of fatigue."
Orton won the 1A cross country championship in October and works hard in the classroom where she maintains a 3.9 GPA. In the four games the team played the week before the holiday break, she averaged 15 points, 6 assists and five steals.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 25
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21