Rumors have swirled that she may only serve a year or two in the post; while she did not specifically pledge Monday to serve four years, she said her commitment to the job was "total" and that she was not doing it part-time.
Many parent groups and education advocates praised the pick, which also received high marks from the teachers union, which often had a contentious relationship with Bloomberg.
"Carmen is a real educator," said Michael Mulgrew, president of the United Federation of Teachers. "She has a deep knowledge of schools and our system, and is on record criticizing Mayor Bloomberg's focus on high stakes testing."
Teachers — as well every other city worker — are currently working under expired contracts. Though brokering those agreements will be among de Blasio's first tasks in office, neither he nor Farina would discuss negotiations Monday.
Several charter school advocates offered more measured approval for the selection.
"I know Carmen well and she is an educator who cares," Eva Moskowitz, chief executive of the Success Academy Charter Schools system, said in a statement. "The question is will she protect and expand public charter school options for families who need and are demanding them?"
De Blasio wants to fund his universal pre-kindergarten program by raising taxes on wealthy New Yorkers, a plan that would need approval by the state Legislature and Gov. Andrew Cuomo. They have been noncommittal.
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- Vanished plane flew for more than six hours...
- South at heart of close fight to control US...
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough discovery on...
- Officers' body cameras raise privacy concerns
- Picture of the two pilots on the missing...
- Looking for the perfect Pi Day pie? Here are...
- Food pantries on the rise at US college campuses
- British judge hears arguments in case... 51
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough... 29
- Student who sued parents to get them to... 21
- States explore free community college 16
- President Obama calls for a... 15
- Obama says health care program is stable 14
- Senate investigation of CIA dogged by... 9
- Deadline fast approaching for... 9