Ari Shapiro, international correspondent (formerly White House correspondent) for National Public Radio and a 1996 Beaverton High graduate, was among the first alumni to be featured.
Shapiro then tweeted about the interview, and the Social Media Team began getting messages from some of his 40,000 worldwide followers.
"They saw how global it really is," Robinson said.
The Social Media Team includes Casey Wise, Paige Colorito, both seniors, Payton Crawford and Maddy Johnson, both juniors.
They remember starting on social media with Myspace as youngsters.
"That was so long ago," laughed Crawford.
Now, they rattle off the best times to post stories on Facebook, photos on Instagram and tweets on Twitter. Like a lot of students, they're attached to their smartphones, but in addition to messaging friends, they're posting information for the entire school and community.
"At some high schools, everyone fits into a box," Wise said. "When you look at Beaverton (High), we're not like that. We have ukelele club, knitting club. Everybody does something different."
Their work has impressed district leaders, and the district is chipping in some funds along with the high school booster club to help pay the $4,000 they need to attend a social media conference in New York in February.
In return, the students will create a social media user manual for the district and will teach principals the secrets to getting social media to work at their schools.
"It's exciting to be able to share our knowledge," Crawford said.
Information from: The Oregonian, http://www.oregonlive.com
- 25 of the craziest — and cutest —...
- Lloyd hat trick leads United States over...
- Bakery ordered to pay $135,000 for mental,...
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in state...
- Bill Cosby said he got drugs to give women...
- Polygamous Montana trio applies for wedding...
- Greeks reject demands for more austerity in...
- Ten Commandments decision prompts...
- Bakery ordered to pay $135,000 for... 66
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 36
- Did the news media show bias in its... 24
- Obama's counterterrorism policy facing... 22
- Ten Commandments decision prompts... 19
- Catholic leaders press GOP to heed pope... 15
- Rubio, Christie planning sleepover with... 12
- Obama draws sharp contrasts with 'mean'... 11