Universal Pictures, Giles Keyte, Associated Press
NEW YORK — Universal Pictures has delayed the release of "Fast & Furious 7" for almost a year following the death of star Paul Walker.
The studio announced Monday that the "Fast & Furious" sequel will be released in April 2015, instead of July next year. Shooting on the film was about halfway finished when the 40-year-old Walker died in a car crash outside of Los Angeles.
Walker still will appear in the film, though Universal has not said exactly how it will handle his unfinished performance.
Co-star Vin Diesel first posted the news on Facebook, telling his fans that, "He'd want you to know first."
The franchise has been one of Universal's most lucrative, grossing almost $2.4 billion worldwide since 2001. The last film, "Fast & Furious 6," made $789 million.
Production on "Fast & Furious 7" was on Thanksgiving break when Walker and his friend, Roger Rodas, died in a fiery crash in Valencia on Nov. 30. Rodas, 38, was driving his 2005 Porsche Carrera GT with Walker in the passenger seat.
Investigators with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department have found no evidence of mechanical problems and have ruled out debris or other roadway conditions causing the car the slam into a light pole and tree. The investigation is ongoing, but law enforcement officials have said speed is believed to be the cause.
Shooting on "Fast & Furious 7" had been planned to resume in Atlanta two days after the crash, but Universal suspended production indefinitely.
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay adults not...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- Photo gallery: Atop One World Trade Center,...
- David Letterman leaves late night with thanks...
- The most popular boy names from 1960 to 2013
- Utah State hires Louis Wilson as assistant...
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay... 148
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Obama: Climate change deniers endanger... 26
- Sen. Lindsey Graham: 'I'm running' to... 18
- Obama bans some military-style... 16
- Official says Iraq's 'Ramadi has... 15
- Belfast baker guilty of discrimination... 14
- FTC: Family raised $187 million for... 12