SAN DIEGO (AP) — Johnny Dee scored 16 points and Dennis Kramer 15 as San Diego rolled past Southern Utah 67-52 on Saturday.
The Toreros (9-4) shot 51 percent and out-rebounded Southern Utah 33-24, scoring 36 points in the paint to Southern Utah's eight. Dee grabbed seven rebounds, a career best, and Kramer had eight. San Diego scored 22 points at the free-throw line (on 30 attempts) with Dee sinking 7 of 7. Christopher Anderson finished with 12 points and five steals.
The game saw four ties and five lead changes early, but the Toreros took off on a 12-0 run to break a 12-12 tie, were up by 11 at halftime and led by as many as 27.
Eric Rippetoe came off the bench to lead the Thunderbirds with 14 points - 3-for-3 on 3-pointers. A.J. Hess added 13 points. The loss was Southern Utah's (1-8) eighth in a row.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 173
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 114
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 45