Although his suspension won quick praise from gay rights groups, it offended people like Peter, who says conservative views like his are often overlooked by Hollywood and the news media.
"I think we're getting a little bit tired of that pro-gay sentiment that's out there in the media and it's time to fight back," he said.
Randy Schmidt of Illinois agreed, saying that while gay people can be happy that some states have granted them the right to marry, "I find it unnecessary to flaunt it all over the media."
Ultimately, it doesn't matter what conservative fans may think, said another veteran crisis publicist, Michael Levine. A&E had no choice but to suspend Robertson, he said. If the network didn't, it would have had to deal with complaints from gay rights groups that would have made advertisers skittish and damaged the "Duck Dynasty" brand.
"The advertisers, the brand, people would stop buying 'Duck Dynasty' merchandise," he said. "At a certain point the brand just becomes radioactive."
This isn't the first time, of course, that someone has been taken off a popular show for remarks or behavior away from the cameras.
Isiah Washington was fired from "Grey's Anatomy" in 2007 for referring to one of his show's gay actors with a pejorative.
More recently, Charlie Sheen's erratic behavior got him tossed from "Two And a Half Men," even though the show was a hit and he was the star.
But the interesting thing about this controversy, said Bragman, who himself is gay, is that it seems to be occurring during a time when American culture is undergoing a profound shift in its feelings toward gay rights.
"The tide has turned in that there's an inevitability to gay marriage and gay rights in this country," he said, noting that New Mexico's highest court coincidentally upheld same-sex marriage rights on Thursday, the day after A&E's announcement.
"This is taking place during an interesting cultural touchstone moment," he added.
- Police: 3 killed, 9 wounded in attack at...
- Turkey-Russia spat over downed Russian...
- White House undergoes holiday lockdown after...
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in Germany...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- Local free community college plans may be...
- Black Friday mayhem: A tale of humor and...
- Farm recalls produce used in Costco salad...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 96
- Obama admin says states lack authority... 34
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back... 26
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in... 24
- Kerry: US trying to speed up efforts to... 23
- Obama pledges solidarity with France,... 19
- Turkey downs Russian jet it says... 17
- Officer charged with murder in teen's... 17