3 delicious and affordable holiday recipes to sweeten the season
Roll out each sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured board until it’s 10 by 12 inches. Beat the egg with 1 tablespoon of water and brush the surface of the pastry.
Sprinkle each sheet evenly with ¼ cup of the Parmesan, ½ cup of the Gruyere, ½ teaspoon of the thyme, ½ teaspoon of the salt, and some pepper. With the rolling pin, lightly press the flavorings into the puff pastry.
Cut each sheet crosswise with a floured knife or pizza wheel into 11 or 12 strips. Twist each strip and lay on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned and puffed. Turn each straw and bake for another 2 minutes. Don’t overbake or the cheese will burn. Cool and serve at room temperature.
Makes about 2 dozen straws.
Editor’s note: Gruyere is an expensive cheese. We substituted sharp white cheddar and these turned out fine. Also, don’t hesitate to substitute another favorite herb for the thyme, or a dried herb for the fresh. These will still taste great.
— Adapted from “Barefoot Contessa in Paris,” Ina Garten
©2013 Akron Beacon Journal (Akron, Ohio)
Visit the Akron Beacon Journal (Akron, Ohio) at www.ohio.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
PHOTO (from MCT Photo Service, 202-383-6099): CRACKERS
- The disappearing 401(k) and inequality
- Driving forces: When buying a new car is...
- High steaks: Beef prices mooove up
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low
- Survey: Cost a growing factor in college...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your time,...
- Fraudsters using Ukraine crisis to get...
- Dwindling pensions still swindling funds from...
- The disappearing 401(k) and inequality 14
- Dwindling pensions still swindling... 12
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your... 12
- Driving forces: When buying a new car... 8
- High steaks: Beef prices mooove up 2
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 2
- Survey: Cost a growing factor in... 1
- Here are 5 clues to the health of US... 1