Preps of the week: T.J. Haws, Lone Peak and Sydnee Taylor, Skyline are honored
TJ Haws, Lone Peak, basketball: The sharpshooting marksman led the Knights to a 3-1 record in the Great Western Shootout last week. Haws averaged just south of 25 points per game including 29 points with three 3-pointers in the win against Orem, but his shining moment occurred in perhaps his worst performance of the four games.
With 4.9 seconds remaining in regulation in a 46-46 tie against Bishop O'Connell (Va.), Haws gutted a 35-foot dagger as time expired for the win. He finished 5 of 18 from the floor, but contributed a team-high five assists.
"I knew that I had missed a few shots, but I tried to stay confident and that's why it went through," Haws told Deseret News reporter Brandon Gurney of the game-winning shot.
SYDNEE TAYLOR, Skyline, basketball: Skyline senior Sydnee Taylor has always had athletic ability. But rather than rely on her talent, she worked hard to make herself one of the states best basketball players.
"With her talent, she continues to work on (her game) and continues to get better," said Skyline head coach Lynette Schroeder. "Her greatest strength is her jump shot. She can drive to the basket and just is able to pull up, really quickly, on a dime and just knock down a jump shot. Not a lot of female high school basketball players have that ability."
A quiet player, she leads by example. She's helped the Eagles to a 4-0 start as she averages 15.5 points per game. Taylor committed to play basketball for SUU next season.
Her game has evolved this season, as she looks to get her teammates involved.
"Her court sense has evolved," Schroeder said. "She sees the court really well, and she distributes the ball well. Which is great for a shooting guard to be able to do."
- Cougars looking for special season with...
- Cougars football team undergoing reality...
- NFL cuts tracker: Former BYU wide receiver...
- BYU's Mendenhall on the cusp of embarking on...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Amy Donaldson: Football has helped Ute...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 87
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 63
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 28
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 26
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap... 26
- High school football: Parry's Power... 23