Preps of the week: T.J. Haws, Lone Peak and Sydnee Taylor, Skyline are honored
TJ Haws, Lone Peak, basketball: The sharpshooting marksman led the Knights to a 3-1 record in the Great Western Shootout last week. Haws averaged just south of 25 points per game including 29 points with three 3-pointers in the win against Orem, but his shining moment occurred in perhaps his worst performance of the four games.
With 4.9 seconds remaining in regulation in a 46-46 tie against Bishop O'Connell (Va.), Haws gutted a 35-foot dagger as time expired for the win. He finished 5 of 18 from the floor, but contributed a team-high five assists.
"I knew that I had missed a few shots, but I tried to stay confident and that's why it went through," Haws told Deseret News reporter Brandon Gurney of the game-winning shot.
SYDNEE TAYLOR, Skyline, basketball: Skyline senior Sydnee Taylor has always had athletic ability. But rather than rely on her talent, she worked hard to make herself one of the states best basketball players.
"With her talent, she continues to work on (her game) and continues to get better," said Skyline head coach Lynette Schroeder. "Her greatest strength is her jump shot. She can drive to the basket and just is able to pull up, really quickly, on a dime and just knock down a jump shot. Not a lot of female high school basketball players have that ability."
A quiet player, she leads by example. She's helped the Eagles to a 4-0 start as she averages 15.5 points per game. Taylor committed to play basketball for SUU next season.
Her game has evolved this season, as she looks to get her teammates involved.
"Her court sense has evolved," Schroeder said. "She sees the court really well, and she distributes the ball well. Which is great for a shooting guard to be able to do."
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight road...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke comes off...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles West...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 88
- Memphis to punish 12 players for role... 78
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 60
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 54
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 34
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 27