BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog: Minutemen's athleticism too much for Cougars to overcome
Jessica Hill, AP
No. 21 UMass had too much speed and athleticism as the Minutemen handed BYU a 105-96 loss at the MassMutual Center on Saturday.
The Cougars cut an 11-point halftime deficit to three early in the second half but UMass led by double digits, or near double digits, over the final 14-plus minutes of the contest. The Minutemen shot 55.6 percent for the game.
Chaz Williams led the Massachusetts attack, scoring 32 points to go with 15 assists. Sampson Carter (20 points), Raphiael Putney (15), Maxie Esho (12) and Trey Davis (11) also scored in double figures.
Tyler Haws countered with 25 points to lead the Cougar attack, as he shot 9-of-16 from the field. Matt Carlino added 23 points. But the up-tempo Cougars simply couldn't keep up with UMass, which made nine three-pointers to four for BYU.
The Cougars led 7-3 early, but UMass responded with an 11-1 run to take control and led throughout most of the game.
It's the third loss to a Top 25 team for BYU during the non-conference slate, as the Cougars drop to 7-3.
Deseret News web sports intern Lafe Peavler posted updates from today's basketball game between the Brigham Young University and the University of Massachusetts Amherst in addition to posting commentary from social media. Look below for blog updates from the final few minutes of the game.
Because of the high volume of traffic, the live blog may take a minute or two to load. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 65
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 40
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20