BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog: Minutemen's athleticism too much for Cougars to overcome
Jessica Hill, AP
No. 21 UMass had too much speed and athleticism as the Minutemen handed BYU a 105-96 loss at the MassMutual Center on Saturday.
The Cougars cut an 11-point halftime deficit to three early in the second half but UMass led by double digits, or near double digits, over the final 14-plus minutes of the contest. The Minutemen shot 55.6 percent for the game.
Chaz Williams led the Massachusetts attack, scoring 32 points to go with 15 assists. Sampson Carter (20 points), Raphiael Putney (15), Maxie Esho (12) and Trey Davis (11) also scored in double figures.
Tyler Haws countered with 25 points to lead the Cougar attack, as he shot 9-of-16 from the field. Matt Carlino added 23 points. But the up-tempo Cougars simply couldn't keep up with UMass, which made nine three-pointers to four for BYU.
The Cougars led 7-3 early, but UMass responded with an 11-1 run to take control and led throughout most of the game.
It's the third loss to a Top 25 team for BYU during the non-conference slate, as the Cougars drop to 7-3.
Deseret News web sports intern Lafe Peavler posted updates from today's basketball game between the Brigham Young University and the University of Massachusetts Amherst in addition to posting commentary from social media. Look below for blog updates from the final few minutes of the game.
Because of the high volume of traffic, the live blog may take a minute or two to load. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 13