Obama administration will allow green energy companies to seek authorization to kill, harm bald and golden eagles
The regulation published Friday was not subjected to a full environmental review because the administration classified it as an administrative change.
"The federal government didn't study the impacts of this rule change even though the (law) requires it," said Kelly Fuller, who formerly headed up the wind campaign at the American Bird Conservancy. "Instead, the feds have decided to break the law and use eagles as lab rats."
The Fish and Wildlife Service said the new rule enables it to better monitor the long-term environmental effects of renewable energy projects.
"Our goal is to ensure that the wind industry sites and operates projects in ways that best minimize and avoid impacts to eagles and other wildlife," the agency said in a statement.
Last month, Duke Energy Corp. pleaded guilty to killing eagles and other birds at two wind farms in Wyoming, the first time a wind energy company has been prosecuted under a law protecting migratory birds.
A study by federal biologists in September found that wind farms since 2008 had killed at least 67 bald and golden eagles, a number that the researchers said was likely underestimated.
It's unclear what toll, if any, wind energy companies are having on eagle populations locally or regionally. Gunshots, electrocutions and poisonings almost certainly kill more bald and golden eagles than wind farms. But with the industry still growing, the toll could grow, too.
A recent assessment of status of the golden eagle in the western U.S. showed that populations have been decreasing in some areas and rising in others.
Online: Eagle permitting rule: http://1.usa.gov/1dUGqPk
Follow Dina Cappiello on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/dinacappiello
- Live at the GOP convention: Donald Trump...
- No sign of Trump endorsement, but plenty of...
- Trump speechwriter apologizes for Melania...
- Thunderous boos for Cruz for refusing to...
- 17 arrested in flag-burning melee outside GOP...
- Trump's moment: Speech to close GOP...
- Cruz: Not supporting candidate who wages...
- Rupert Murdoch vows Fox News without Ailes is...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 75
- Obama rejects Trump depiction of US in... 40
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Trump speechwriter apologizes for... 27
- Police give all-clear in Munich... 27
- Thunderous boos for Cruz for refusing... 22
- Ohio Mormon offered invocation at... 22