Obama administration will allow green energy companies to seek authorization to kill, harm bald and golden eagles
The regulation published Friday was not subjected to a full environmental review because the administration classified it as an administrative change.
"The federal government didn't study the impacts of this rule change even though the (law) requires it," said Kelly Fuller, who formerly headed up the wind campaign at the American Bird Conservancy. "Instead, the feds have decided to break the law and use eagles as lab rats."
The Fish and Wildlife Service said the new rule enables it to better monitor the long-term environmental effects of renewable energy projects.
"Our goal is to ensure that the wind industry sites and operates projects in ways that best minimize and avoid impacts to eagles and other wildlife," the agency said in a statement.
Last month, Duke Energy Corp. pleaded guilty to killing eagles and other birds at two wind farms in Wyoming, the first time a wind energy company has been prosecuted under a law protecting migratory birds.
A study by federal biologists in September found that wind farms since 2008 had killed at least 67 bald and golden eagles, a number that the researchers said was likely underestimated.
It's unclear what toll, if any, wind energy companies are having on eagle populations locally or regionally. Gunshots, electrocutions and poisonings almost certainly kill more bald and golden eagles than wind farms. But with the industry still growing, the toll could grow, too.
A recent assessment of status of the golden eagle in the western U.S. showed that populations have been decreasing in some areas and rising in others.
Online: Eagle permitting rule: http://1.usa.gov/1dUGqPk
Follow Dina Cappiello on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/dinacappiello
- Judge rejects motion, clearing way for Steven...
- Oklahoma court: Ten Commandments monument...
- A world apart: 2 women with birthdates in...
- Convicted killer thought fellow escapee was...
- Religious colleges on edge over tax, Pell...
- NBC to Donald Trump: You're fired
- Don't blink or you might miss the leap second...
- Who is in, and about to get in, the GOP race...
- Religious leaders ponder next steps... 59
- Oklahoma court: Ten Commandments... 42
- White House lit in rainbow colors after... 33
- Woman removes Confederate flag in front... 25
- NBC to Donald Trump: You're fired 24
- Religious colleges on edge over tax,... 15
- Obama delivers unvarnished race lecture... 13
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13