Michael Thomas, File, Associated Press
AUSTIN, Texas — Texas coach Mack Brown has had a running joke all week: He's the only coach in America playing for a conference championship while also shrugging off speculation he could be replaced.
That sums up the drama surrounding Brown and a team who have fought their way through a topsy-turvy season of embarrassing losses and big wins and now find themselves on the verge of a Big 12 title in the final game of the regular season.
The No. 23 Longhorns (8-3, 7-1) play at No. 9 Baylor (10-1, 7-1) with at least a share of the conference title at stake. For either team, a win coupled with an Oklahoma State loss — the Cowboys beat both in November — will earn the victor the crown outright.
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 39
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26