Colorado court hears discrimination case over refusal to make wedding cake for gay couple
DENVER — A discrimination complaint over a Colorado bakery's refusal to make a wedding cake for a gay couple is being heard in a Denver court.
At issue in the complaint from David Mullins and Charlie Craig against Masterpiece Cakeshop in suburban Denver is whether religious freedom can protect a business from discrimination allegations from gay couples.
An administrative judge in Colorado's Civil Rights Commission is scheduled to hear arguments in the case Wednesday morning. It's unknown whether a ruling in the case will come the same day.
The American Civil Liberties Union initiated the process on behalf of the couple last year.
The bakery owner faces up to a year in prison if the court rules against him and he continues to refuse to make wedding cakes for gay couples.
Mullins, 28, and Craig, 33, filed the discrimination complaint against Jack Phillips after visiting his business in suburban Denver in the summer of 2012. After a few minutes looking at pictures of different cakes, the couple said Phillips told them he wouldn't make one for them when he found out it was to celebrate their wedding in Colorado after they got married in Massachusetts. Phillips has said making a wedding cake for gay couples would violate his Christian religious beliefs, according to the complaint.
Phillips' attorney, Nicolle Martin, has said the case is about religious conscience and that one person's beliefs shouldn't be held above someone else's.
Colorado does not allow gay marriage, only civil unions. Colorado's civil union law, which passed earlier this year, does not provide religious protections for businesses despite the urging of Republican lawmakers. Democrats argued that such a provision would give businesses cover to discriminate.
A case similar to Colorado's is pending in Washington state, where a florist is accused of refusing service for a same-sex wedding.
- Rescuers search rubble in east China after...
- Britain will leave the 28-nation European...
- 'No' to Obama's immigration plans, Supreme...
- Vandalism discovered at sacred Native...
- 76ers take Ben Simmons with No. 1 pick in NBA...
- Trump, in Scotland, links Brexit vote to his...
- North Korea: We won't abandon nukes with US...
- Britain votes to leave EU: Cameron resigns;...
- In need of help, Trump finds few... 39
- House Republicans' report faults Obama... 39
- Big ruling for abortion rights in... 36
- The pro-life plan that could reverse... 36
- Did Trump really just become a... 36
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Trump, in Scotland, links Brexit vote... 26