Sam Houston St. drops Southern Utah in first round of FCS football playoffs, 51-20
G.M. Andrews, AP
HUNTSVILLE, Texas — Timothy Flanders rushed for 152 yards and two fourth quarter touchdowns as Sam Houston St defeated Southern Utah 51-20 in the first round of the FCS playoffs. The Bearkats will face SE Louisiana (10-2) in the second round.
Southern Utah (8-5) jumped out to a 10-0 first quarter after a field goal and Aaron Cantu's 28-yard touchdown pass to Anthony Norris.
Sam Houston (9-4) countered with 30 unanswered points, including touchdown passes from Brian Bell to Chance Nelson (32 yards) and Ragan Henderson (7 yards). Bell added a 1-yard scoring plunge.
The Thunderbirds cut the lead to 10 with another field goal and Robert Torgerson's 39-yard fumble recovery for a TD.
But the Bearkats took control with Flanders' 2-yard touchdown on the first play of the fourth. He added a 1-yard dive later in the frame. Keshawn Hill (101 yards) added his second TD, a 2-yard run, with 5:10 left.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 112
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 29
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans... 19