Sam Houston St. drops Southern Utah in first round of FCS football playoffs, 51-20
G.M. Andrews, AP
HUNTSVILLE, Texas — Timothy Flanders rushed for 152 yards and two fourth quarter touchdowns as Sam Houston St defeated Southern Utah 51-20 in the first round of the FCS playoffs. The Bearkats will face SE Louisiana (10-2) in the second round.
Southern Utah (8-5) jumped out to a 10-0 first quarter after a field goal and Aaron Cantu's 28-yard touchdown pass to Anthony Norris.
Sam Houston (9-4) countered with 30 unanswered points, including touchdown passes from Brian Bell to Chance Nelson (32 yards) and Ragan Henderson (7 yards). Bell added a 1-yard scoring plunge.
The Thunderbirds cut the lead to 10 with another field goal and Robert Torgerson's 39-yard fumble recovery for a TD.
But the Bearkats took control with Flanders' 2-yard touchdown on the first play of the fourth. He added a 1-yard dive later in the frame. Keshawn Hill (101 yards) added his second TD, a 2-yard run, with 5:10 left.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 63
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 53
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 30
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28