Sam Houston St. drops Southern Utah in first round of FCS football playoffs, 51-20
G.M. Andrews, AP
HUNTSVILLE, Texas — Timothy Flanders rushed for 152 yards and two fourth quarter touchdowns as Sam Houston St defeated Southern Utah 51-20 in the first round of the FCS playoffs. The Bearkats will face SE Louisiana (10-2) in the second round.
Southern Utah (8-5) jumped out to a 10-0 first quarter after a field goal and Aaron Cantu's 28-yard touchdown pass to Anthony Norris.
Sam Houston (9-4) countered with 30 unanswered points, including touchdown passes from Brian Bell to Chance Nelson (32 yards) and Ragan Henderson (7 yards). Bell added a 1-yard scoring plunge.
The Thunderbirds cut the lead to 10 with another field goal and Robert Torgerson's 39-yard fumble recovery for a TD.
But the Bearkats took control with Flanders' 2-yard touchdown on the first play of the fourth. He added a 1-yard dive later in the frame. Keshawn Hill (101 yards) added his second TD, a 2-yard run, with 5:10 left.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33