Despite wind concerns, balloons and spirits soar at Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (+photos) (+video)
In Detroit, the Tigers' popular former manager served as grand marshal of that city's Thanksgiving Day parade, which is billed as the nation's second largest, behind New York's. Revelers braved snow showers and slick roads to see two dozen floats and a performance by singer Ruben Studdard.
In Washington, President Barack Obama and family celebrated a quiet holiday at the White House. The menu was quintessential Thanksgiving, including turkey, honey-baked ham, cornbread stuffing, greens and six choices of pie.
He also called several members of the armed forces to thank them for their service to the country.
In New York City, volunteers from Citymeals-on-Wheels escorted dozens of elderly residents from neighborhoods affected by Superstorm Sandy to a Manhattan restaurant feast. The organization funded almost 20,500 Thanksgiving meals, including 13,000 delivered in advance to homebound elderly.
On Wednesday, two American astronauts on board the International Space Station, Mike Hopkins and Rick Mastracchio, released a video from 260 miles above Earth showing off their traditional Thanksgiving meal: irradiated smoked turkey, thermostabilized yams, cornbread dressing, potatoes, freeze-dried asparagus, baked beans, bread, cobbler and dehydrated green bean casserole.
Contributing to this report were Associated Press writers Jake Pearson and Seth Borenstein and Associated Press Radio Correspondent Julie Walker in New York, Jim Kuhnhenn and Darlene Superville in Washington and Jeff Karoub in Detroit.
- Some countries get Obama, but want his wife, too
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- Colorado deaths stoke worries about pot edibles
- Ride-sharing business launches despite...
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at...
- Appeals judges question right to sue in...
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry, 2 crew...
- Get married, stay married? No fault divorce...
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 78
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- The dangers of financially illiterate... 31
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care 27
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 26
- Report projects health law's subsidies... 21
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 21
- Police: Student ate more pot than... 18