Manu Brabo, Associated Press
TRIPOLI, Libya — Thousands of protesters have gathered in Libya's capital to call on unlawful armed groups to leave the city, a week after militiamen killed 43 people.
The head of Tripoli's local council, Al-Sadat al-Badri, told the crowd on Friday that the city will remain on strike until the capital and its surroundings are free of militias.
Several militias hailing from other Libyan cities already left the capital Thursday, following a popular uproar sparked by the death of 43 protesters last week. They were killed by militiamen during a march demanding the militias leave.
Since the fall of longtime dictator Moammar Gadhafi in 2011, hundreds of militias have sprung up across Libya. The government has failed to control the groups or incorporate them into the fledgling police force and army.
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- California orders churches, others to pay for...
- 2 dead in shooting attack at Canada's Parliament
- Government ups air bag warning to 7.8M vehicles
- Inspector: 'Serious lapse' at Secret Service
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex marriage
- Shots ring out at Canada's Parliament
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign of split
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 111
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 23
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex... 21
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 16
- California orders churches, others to... 13
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign... 10
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- At rallies, Obama casts 2014 as key for... 8