Charles Dharapak, Associated Press
Insurance companies canceled health policies for millions of Americans under President Barack Obama's overhaul law, roiling the administration and reverberating in Congress, especially for Democrats nervously looking ahead to next year's elections.
Various proposals are intended to provide some relief:
Responding to public outcry and intense political pressure, Obama announced on Thursday he would give insurance companies the option to keep offering consumers plans that would otherwise be canceled because they fall short of coverage requirements under "Obamacare." The change would be effective for one year, although a further extension is possible.
Administration officials said insurance companies will be allowed, but not required, to offer Americans the option of renewing their old individual or small group plans.
REP. FRED UPTON, R-Mich.
The bill by the chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee would allow insurers to continue selling individual policies that were in effect on Jan. 1, 2013, even if they provide coverage deemed insufficient under Obamacare. Current or new customers could enroll.
The measure, backed by House Republican leaders, would remain in effect throughout 2014, after which a review would be likely.
SEN. MARY LANDRIEU, D-La.
Landrieu, who faces a challenging re-election next year, has proposed requiring insurance companies to offer existing customers continued coverage under any plan in effect at the end of 2013. No new consumers could enroll.
Her measure also requires insurers to explain areas in which the coverage falls short of the law's requirements and to notify consumers they may be able to find an alternative plan that meets the requirements.
SEN. RON JOHNSON, R-Wis.
The Republican has proposed allowing insurance companies to continue offering existing plans. Family members of existing ensured could enroll, but other new customers generally could not.
- A solution to paying that medical bill you...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make comparisons when...
- Allow student loan bankruptcies, but hold...
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000 —...
- 12 kinds of office emails you'll get tonight
- Want to increase attraction in your...
- Balancing act: What did you learn about...
- Food stamp use shows continued...
- Allow student loan bankruptcies, but... 14
- 12 women who should be on dollar bills 11
- Why you should still pack a school... 7
- Food stamp use shows continued... 6
- Want to increase attraction in your... 6
- Balancing act: Readers dispute... 4
- A solution to paying that medical bill... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make... 4