Lack of younger enrollees a threat to Obama's health care law insurance exchanges
In Colorado, an aggressive campaign from allies of the state-run exchange includes provocative ads. One targeting women combines the promise of free birth control pills with the notion of casual sex. Another ad shows women with a contraption made of alcohol shot glasses glued to an old snow ski. "Saving money on flu shots leaves us more money for fun shots," the ad reads. The day the health exchange launched, male and female models wearing nothing but underwear and "Get Covered" signs passed out fliers on a downtown Denver street.
It's not clear whether the campaign is working. Colorado's exchange has yet to release a demographic breakdown of the 3,700 people who selected an individual policy last month.
"We are making an extra push to reach young adults, and we do expect they're going to take a lot of encouraging because they tend to wait until the last minute," said Myung Kim, spokeswoman for Colorado's exchange.
If such efforts fail and insurance companies end up with too many sick or expensive customers, they might need to increase premiums or eventually leave markets to avoid taking heavy financial losses.
"It's going to be very messy for the next couple of years, until we figure out who is buying insurance," said Glenn Melnick, director of the Center for Health Financing, Policy and Management at the University of Southern California. "There are a lot of pieces of this that are just black boxes right now."
Aetna Chairman and chief executive Mark Bertolini said last month that it was "incredibly important" to get the exchange websites running properly because "the younger, healthier people aren't going to give them more than one shot."
Associated Press writers Roger Alford in Frankfort, Ky., Carla K. Johnson in Chicago, Tom Murphy in Indianapolis, Ann Sanner in Columbus, Ohio, Juliet Williams in Sacramento, Calif., and Kristen Wyatt in Denver contributed to this report.
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- Turkey downs Russian jet it says violated its...
- They put the giving in Thanksgiving
- Suicide vest found in Paris raises possible...
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back waterboarding
- Minneapolis police say 5 shot near protest scene
- TV Buying Guide: Get out tape measure before...
- Kerry: US trying to speed up efforts to...
- House votes to curb Syrian refugees,... 89
- Trump says he saw people celebrating... 37
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 32
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 28
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back... 25
- Kerry: US trying to speed up efforts to... 23
- Rep. Mia Love endorses Marco Rubio for... 22
- Terrorism propaganda assignment causes... 15