Sen. Clayton Hee, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee and the primary sponsor of the bill, said it's too early to tell whether a conference committee would be necessary. He said he did not consider the House changes made in committee significant.
Gov. Neil Abercrombie and Attorney General David Louie have urged both chambers to pass the bill in its current form. Louie says it's constitutional.
Abercrombie watched the proceedings for about an hour Friday afternoon, drawing both cheers and boos from the crowd as he walked in and was later introduced.
"You out of line, bro," one opponent of gay marriage shouted at Abercrombie, before being escorted from the chamber.
Oskar Garcia can be reached at http://twitter.com/oskargarcia .
- From 0.3 to 81.1: What percentage of each...
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in 2015...
- Obama administration allows 2-year extension...
- Girl Scouts asked to end partnership with Barbie
- 23 Mormon missionaries in Ukraine transferred...
- New Ukraine prime minister: Crimea will...
- Former baseball star Mariano Rivera rescues,...
- EU slaps initial sanctions on Russia
- No longer loyal to Boy Scouts of... 51
- Obama administration allows 2-year... 24
- Putin: Russia has right to use force in... 21
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in... 21
- Thousands march in pro-invasion rally... 11
- Obama appeals to Democrats in 2015... 11
- Former IRS official Lois Lerner again... 11
- Ukrainian software professionals... 10