This site dates back as a Spanish colonial mission settlement to at least 1620. It was abandoned before the Mormon Battalion passed by but it was near the Santa Fe Trail, which the battalion was following at this point.
Ruts of the trail are still evident near these ruins. The pueblo had been abandoned in 1838, and travelers on the trail would stop and view the ruins. A logical assumption, then, would be that Mormon Battalion members following the nearby Santa Fe Trail would have passed right by here and may well have gone to examine these ruins.
At this point, the end of the Santa Fe Trail was less than 20 miles away, making this the last major stop on the trail for those headed to Santa Fe.