Summit County Sheriff Department, File, Associated Press
AKRON, Ohio — An Ohio woman wasn't terminally ill and seemed to be responding to treatment when she was shot to death in her hospital bed last year, a doctor testified Tuesday in the trial of the woman's husband, who is accused of pulling the trigger.
Barbara Wise, whose August 2012 slaying was called a mercy killing by friends of the couple, was in stable condition at the time with "no issue involving end of life," said Dr. Michael A. Passero Jr., a pulmonary care physician who was caring for her at Akron General Medical Center.
Her husband, John Wise, 68, is pursuing an insanity defense on charges of aggravated murder. His attorney told the jury Monday that Wise was a loving husband whose mental state declined after his wife was hospitalized, spiraling to a point of despair.
A psychiatrist serving as an expert witness will testify that Wise's mental state declined in the week before the shooting as he struggled with his inability to help his wife and his own physical ailments, which included chronic heart disease, diabetes and several others, his attorney said.
Prosecutors say Wise wrote an apologetic note before taking a taxi to visit his hospitalized wife, shooting her in the head as she lay in bed and then trying to kill himself before authorities took his gun.
He could face life in prison if convicted.
Also Tuesday, Paula Musgrave, a clerk in the hospital intensive care unit, testified that she heard a "pop" in Barbara Wise's room that day and went to investigate because she and others thought a piece of machinery had malfunctioned.
Instead, Musgrave said, she found John Wise trying to fire a shot with a gun that had jammed. She yelled that Wise had a gun, and people on the floor began running and diving for cover.
Two hospital security guards testified Monday about finding Wise sitting in his wife's room with a gun in his hand.
The trial is scheduled to resume Wednesday.
- Debate Takeaways: Rubio shaken, Trump not...
- Charity parodies — videos tell another...
- Rescuers in Taiwan pull out survivors from...
- Rubio faces barrage of attacks in Republican...
- 5 things to know about the Super Bowl and sex...
- Over 100 missing, 14 dead as strong quake...
- Christie, others hit final stretch in New...
- N. Korea praises launch, others see as covert...
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9... 29
- Donald Trump calls for Iowa election... 14
- Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul quits 2016 GOP... 12
- Once a bromance, now a brawl: Trump and... 10
- 5 things to know about the Super Bowl... 9
- Clinton's New Hampshire challenge:... 6
- Clinton seeks to cut into Sanders' New... 6
- US productivity fell at sharp 3 percent... 5