Demolition proceeds at Sandy Hook Elementary School where 26 were killed last year
Jessica Hill, Associated Press
NEWTOWN, Conn. — Demolition crews have torn down about half of the elementary school in Connecticut where a gunman killed 26 people last year.
The town aims to finish razing the building by the anniversary of the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown on Dec. 14.
Crews began the demolition work Thursday and photographs taken by air Monday show about half the school has been knocked down.
A gunman shot his way into the building last December and killed 20 first-graders and six adult staff members before committing suicide in one of the deadliest school shootings in U.S. history. The gunman also killed his mother before driving to the school.
Town officials say they are asking the contractors to crush building materials on site to prevent anybody from taking remnants as souvenirs.
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican...
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by to watch
- 9 films advance in Oscars shortlist for best...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- 'Hobbit' goes out on top with $90.6 million...
- 10 years on, where did all the tsunami debris...
- Spain hands out $3B in planet's biggest lottery
- 2 cops in New York City ambushed, fatally...
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 33
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 19
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 17
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by... 13
- Utah mourners for Pakistani children... 8
- Obama declares 2014 'a breakthrough... 7