Social Security Q&A: Working and SSI disability benefits; incorrect name on card
Bradley C Bower, Associated Press
Q: If I receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) disability benefits, what is the effect on my benefits if I work?
A: In most cases, your return to work would reduce your benefit amount. Unlike Social Security disability, there is no “trial work period” for people who get SSI disability benefits. If your only income besides SSI is from your work, you can earn up to $1,505 in a month (in 2013) before we stop your payments. We have several publications about SSI, including Reporting Your Wages When You Receive Supplemental Security Income, available at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs. Simply type the title of the publication into the publication search box on the left side of the page. Note that there are other work incentives that can help you return to work when you receive SSI. You can read about them in What You Need To Know When You Get Supplemental Security Income (SSI), also available at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs. For more information, visit our website at www.socialsecurity.gov.
Q: I applied for a Social Security card for my baby at the hospital, but the card came back with the wrong name. What do I do?
A: This is very rare, but if it does happen, go to your local Social Security office or card center. We need to see original documents proving your child’s: U.S. citizenship; Age; and Identity.
If you corrected the child’s birth certificate, we will want to see that. We also will need to see a document proving your identity. All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. To learn what documents we will accept, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber.
(This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at 800-772-1213. For more information, visit www.socialsecurity.gov. )
© 2013, McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Why starting a garden doesn't save you money
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Why babies are expensive, but could save you...
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,...
- How much America wants to be taxed
- Customers wait all night, get new iPhone 6
- Review: Larger iPhones eliminate reason to...
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 44
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 25
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Financial interventions don't work 7
- How much America wants to be taxed 7
- Why starting a garden doesn't save you... 6
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching... 4