Social Security Q&A: Working and SSI disability benefits; incorrect name on card
Bradley C Bower, Associated Press
Q: If I receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) disability benefits, what is the effect on my benefits if I work?
A: In most cases, your return to work would reduce your benefit amount. Unlike Social Security disability, there is no “trial work period” for people who get SSI disability benefits. If your only income besides SSI is from your work, you can earn up to $1,505 in a month (in 2013) before we stop your payments. We have several publications about SSI, including Reporting Your Wages When You Receive Supplemental Security Income, available at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs. Simply type the title of the publication into the publication search box on the left side of the page. Note that there are other work incentives that can help you return to work when you receive SSI. You can read about them in What You Need To Know When You Get Supplemental Security Income (SSI), also available at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs. For more information, visit our website at www.socialsecurity.gov.
Q: I applied for a Social Security card for my baby at the hospital, but the card came back with the wrong name. What do I do?
A: This is very rare, but if it does happen, go to your local Social Security office or card center. We need to see original documents proving your child’s: U.S. citizenship; Age; and Identity.
If you corrected the child’s birth certificate, we will want to see that. We also will need to see a document proving your identity. All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. To learn what documents we will accept, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber.
(This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at 800-772-1213. For more information, visit www.socialsecurity.gov. )
© 2013, McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- How will students pay for soaring debt? Tax...
- Why the rise of smart machines could...
- Borrowers using student loans for cash, not a...
- Small companies pound pavement to get big deals
- How expensive is your ego?
- Beware: Tax season is scam season
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your time,...
- Balancing act: Lunch breaks make for a tasty...
- How will students pay for soaring debt?... 72
- The disappearing 401(k) and inequality 20
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your... 18
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Nickel and dimed: How pennies and... 4
- Randy Shumway: China is a vital... 4
- For women, lower grades might mean more... 2
- Borrowers using student loans for cash,... 2