Social Security Q&A: Working and SSI disability benefits; incorrect name on card
Bradley C Bower, Associated Press
Q: If I receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) disability benefits, what is the effect on my benefits if I work?
A: In most cases, your return to work would reduce your benefit amount. Unlike Social Security disability, there is no “trial work period” for people who get SSI disability benefits. If your only income besides SSI is from your work, you can earn up to $1,505 in a month (in 2013) before we stop your payments. We have several publications about SSI, including Reporting Your Wages When You Receive Supplemental Security Income, available at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs. Simply type the title of the publication into the publication search box on the left side of the page. Note that there are other work incentives that can help you return to work when you receive SSI. You can read about them in What You Need To Know When You Get Supplemental Security Income (SSI), also available at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs. For more information, visit our website at www.socialsecurity.gov.
Q: I applied for a Social Security card for my baby at the hospital, but the card came back with the wrong name. What do I do?
A: This is very rare, but if it does happen, go to your local Social Security office or card center. We need to see original documents proving your child’s: U.S. citizenship; Age; and Identity.
If you corrected the child’s birth certificate, we will want to see that. We also will need to see a document proving your identity. All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. To learn what documents we will accept, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber.
(This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at 800-772-1213. For more information, visit www.socialsecurity.gov. )
© 2013, McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- It just became easier to be a mother in the Navy
- Here's an odd way to make it through college...
- The average Joe only works 4.5 hours a day....
- Greek villagers' secret weapon: Grow your own...
- What's next, as Greece stumbles toward euro exit
- Job market's new normal: Smaller workforce,...
- Dave Ramsey says: Dave Ramsey: Handle money...
- Dave Ramsey says: 3 traps to avoid after...
- Here's an odd way to make it through... 15
- Job market's new normal: Smaller... 8
- The average Joe only works 4.5 hours a... 4
- Greek villagers' secret weapon: Grow... 3
- What's next, as Greece stumbles toward... 3
- Greek PM Tsipras races to restart talks... 1
- It just became easier to be a mother in... 1