Obstruction call gives Cardinals win over Red Sox in World Series Game 3
Their fielding woes from Game 1 far behind them, the slick-fielding Cardinals made several sharp plays. Kelly barehanded a one-hopper, Carpenter threw out a runner from his knees up the middle and third baseman David Freese backhanded a line drive.
St. Louis quickly broke ahead, scoring in the first inning for the first time this October on RBI singles by Holliday and Yadier Molina. After the Cardinals got three hits in a span of four pitches, Red Sox reliever Felix Doubront began heating up in a hurry before Jake Peavy settled down.
Peavy wriggled out of bases-loaded, no-out jam in the fourth to keep the Cardinals' lead at 2-0. He got some help, too, from St. Louis third base coach Jose Oquendo.
With runners on first and second, Jon Jay hit a sharp single to center. The Red Sox were conceding a run and ready to let Molina score from second, but Oquendo held up the slow-footed catcher.
Peavy actually lowered his career postseason ERA by more than a full run, down to 9.27 in five winless starts.
A day before Kelly and Peavy faced each other, they sounded totally different.
Kelly kidded about his pregame preparation: He stays up all night taking on his Twitter followers, shooting away in "Call of Duty," the popular first-person war video game.
Peavy, meanwhile, was already ramped up and ready to go.
"This is what I've lived for my whole life," he said Friday. "I'm as prepared as I'll ever be, physically, mentally."
NOTES: Cardinals Hall of Famers Bob Gibson, Lou Brock, Ozzie Smith and Red Schoendienst took part in the first-ball festivities, with fan favorite Willie McGee tossing the pitch. ... At 21, Bogaerts became the third-youngest player to hit a triple in a World Series. Ty Cobb and Mickey Mantle did it at 20. ... Molina has a six-game hitting streak in World Series play. ... The family of late umpire Wally Bell was in the stands. Bell died at 48 this month, and the six-man crew is wearing patches to honor him. Bell's first plate job in the World Series was at this ballpark in 2006.
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- College football re-rankings: Where do BYU,...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 183
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 61
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 56
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 55
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 48