AP Photo/Boston Herald, Patrick Whittemore
DANVERS, Mass. — A 14-year-old Massachusetts high school student charged with killing a teacher has been ordered held without bail.
Philip Chism was ordered held Wednesday at his arraignment in adult court on a murder charge in Salem.
His defense attorney, Denise Regan, argued for the proceedings to be closed and her client to be allowed to stay hidden because of his age. The judge denied the request. Regan declined to comment outside court.
Officials haven't released a cause of death or discussed a motive in the killing of well-liked Danvers High School math teacher Colleen Ritzer. Her body was found in the woods behind the school early Wednesday.
The boy also was reported missing Tuesday. He was spotted walking along a road early Wednesday.
He is due back in court Nov. 22.
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- Sex education should start sooner, study finds
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels, with or...
- Sorting out the claims after pipe break: Who...
- Witnesses at Utah trial: No security-camera...
- The creepiest Internet-related happenings of...
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 53
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 47
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 44
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 37
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias... 30
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 28
- House leaders abandon border bill 25
- GOP-led House approves lawsuit against... 15