Susan Walsh, Associated Press
WASHINGTON — House Democrats are worried about persistent problems with the rollout of President Barack Obama's health care law — and one says the president needs to "man up" and fire those responsible.
Rep. Richard Nolan, Democrat of Minnesota, emerged from a Wednesday meeting with administration officials on Capitol Hill and told reporters the rollout has "damaged the brand" of the health care law.
Democrats facing re-election in 2014 were hoping to run on the law's new benefits for millions of uninsured Americans. Instead, a litany of computer problems is keeping consumers from signing up and buying insurance on the health care exchanges.
Nolan said, "The president needs to man up, find out who was responsible, and fire them." He did not name anyone.
Obama says he's as frustrated as anyone and has promised a "tech surge" to fix the balky HealthCare.gov website.
House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, told reporters that "the whole threat of Obamacare" continues "to hang over our economy like a wet blanket."
"More Americans are going to lose their health insurance than are going to sign up at these exchanges," Boehner said.
Obama has turned to longtime adviser Jeffrey Zients to provide management advice to help fix the system. Zients, a former acting director of the Office of Management and Budget and a veteran management consultant, will be on a short-term assignment at HHS before he's due to take over as director of Obama's National Economic Council next year.
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby...
- Appeals courts issue contradictory rulings on...
- Britain's little prince celebrates first...
- Train with plane crash bodies leaves rebel town
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard to...
- Survey: Public 'warm' to Jews, Catholics and...
- BYU-Idaho, Rexburg experience flooding after...
- Obama will sign order barring gay,...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 44
- Obama will sign order barring gay,... 25
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard... 21
- Tea party groups' suit against IRS... 20
- US appeals court tosses Oklahoma gay... 19
- Appeals courts issue contradictory... 19
- Ukraine: 295 on Malaysia plane shot... 14
- Obama voices concern about casualties... 13