Julie Jacobson, File, Associated Press
The September drop in U.S. unemployment benefited a broad number of demographic groups.
Unemployment rates fell for white, black and Hispanic workers, as well as teenagers, young adults and Americans ages 25 to 54.
The national unemployment rate declined to 7.2 percent last month, down from 7.3 percent in August and the lowest since November 2008. Still, unemployment remains elevated more than four years after the recession officially ended. And many subgroups of Americans are suffering even higher jobless rates.
For example, the rate for adult black men, those 20 years and older, jumped to 14 percent last month. That's up from 13.5 percent in August and only slightly below year-ago levels. It also contrasts with 6.1 percent unemployment for white men in that same age group.
Unemployment for adult black women is also much higher than the national average. Their rate dropped to 10 percent in September, down from 10.6 percent in August. Adult white women, by contrast, were unemployed at a 5.5 percent rate last month, among the lowest for any demographic group.
Here are more details from the government's report:
|Unemployment rates for:|
|(Numbers in percentages)||September 2013||August 2013||September 2012|
|20-24 years old:||12.9||13.0||12.4|
|25-54 years old:||6.2||6.3||6.8|
|55 and over:||5.3||5.1||5.9|
|Veterans of Iraq/Afghanistan*:||10.1||10.0||9.7|
|No high school diploma:||10.3||11.3||11.2|
|High school graduate:||7.6||7.6||8.6|
|Duration of Unemployment|
|Average length (weeks):||36.9||37||39.6|
|Jobless 6 months or more (pct.):||36.9||37.9||40.3|
|* not seasonally adjusted|
|Source: Labor Department|
- Retiring overseas is more than a matter of money
- Small Utah town violated law by asking about...
- High-tech sensors help kids keep eye on aging...
- Becker: 'Salt Lake City is well-positioned...
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a large...
- Women innovators leading by example
- Panera CEO on push to banish artificial...
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 23
- More Americans spending at least half... 16
- Proposed trade legislation could boost... 6
- Women innovators leading by example 6
- Money doesn't necessarily equate to job... 5
- Energy-producing states blast Obama... 3
- High-tech sensors help kids keep eye on... 1
- Los Angeles sues Wells Fargo, alleging... 1