COLTON CHRONISTER, Davis, football: Came up huge last week in leading the Darts to the Region 1 title.
Not only did he complete 14-of-18 passes for 275 yards and two touchdowns, but the senior also rushed for a pair of touchdowns in a 36-24 victory over Layton.
For the season, Chronister has passed for 1,448 yards and 15 touchdowns — and just four interceptions — to go along with his four rushing touchdowns.
With Chronister anchoring the offense, Davis is averaging 32.4 points this season, a significant bump up from the 26.3 points it averaged during last year's 7-5 season.
Chronister's overall efficiency is a big reason Davis is 8-0 this season and one win away from a perfect regular season.
CAROLINE WEILER, Skyline, cross country: This senior runner's secret weapon isn't her strength or speed. It's her grit.
"Her greatest strength? I think it's her feistiness," said Skyline head coach Tom Porter. "She's just so competitive."
Coaches can teach strategy and talk about desire, but not every talented or committed runner has the will to win.
"There is that difference between those runners who just come, they train hard, they run hard, but they don't have that killer instinct, so to speak," Porter said. "That's where she is just one of those who is a competitor. When it comes time to fight and battle, she is one that will do that."
The honor student finished second in the region meet last week, running the three-mile course in 18:16.8. Porter said her talent is mostly untapped.
"Her potential is still just out of this world, as far as what she'll be able to accomplish and do," Porter said. "She has a lot of natural ability."
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- BYU offense looking to move the ball, put up...
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director of...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big year...
- Little offense as main players sit out Ute...
- BYU's Jaylen Reyes provides invaluable...
- 2015 Utah high school football schedules...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors continues to make...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 89
- Ultimate football road trips:... 47
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 38
- Morning links: BYU close to a new... 34
- Morning links: ESPN calls Utah a dark... 34
- BYU edges Utah, 7-6, with eighth-inning... 32
- BYU's basketball roster undergoing... 29