COLTON CHRONISTER, Davis, football: Came up huge last week in leading the Darts to the Region 1 title.
Not only did he complete 14-of-18 passes for 275 yards and two touchdowns, but the senior also rushed for a pair of touchdowns in a 36-24 victory over Layton.
For the season, Chronister has passed for 1,448 yards and 15 touchdowns — and just four interceptions — to go along with his four rushing touchdowns.
With Chronister anchoring the offense, Davis is averaging 32.4 points this season, a significant bump up from the 26.3 points it averaged during last year's 7-5 season.
Chronister's overall efficiency is a big reason Davis is 8-0 this season and one win away from a perfect regular season.
CAROLINE WEILER, Skyline, cross country: This senior runner's secret weapon isn't her strength or speed. It's her grit.
"Her greatest strength? I think it's her feistiness," said Skyline head coach Tom Porter. "She's just so competitive."
Coaches can teach strategy and talk about desire, but not every talented or committed runner has the will to win.
"There is that difference between those runners who just come, they train hard, they run hard, but they don't have that killer instinct, so to speak," Porter said. "That's where she is just one of those who is a competitor. When it comes time to fight and battle, she is one that will do that."
The honor student finished second in the region meet last week, running the three-mile course in 18:16.8. Porter said her talent is mostly untapped.
"Her potential is still just out of this world, as far as what she'll be able to accomplish and do," Porter said. "She has a lot of natural ability."
- College football predictions: How will 2014...
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars So'oto,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall,...
- BYU Cougars video: Jeff Call tells us what to...
- Peavler: Why the UConn game won't be a repeat...
- The good, the bad and the most likely:...
- BYU offense looking for much better...
- BYU football: Jordan Johnson and Robertson...
- College football predictions: How will... 60
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 44
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 38
- True freshman Brad Kaaya beats out... 36
- Brad Rock: Five reasons Utes think... 35
- BYU football: Taysom Hill's experience,... 30
- Sports BLT: BYU fan gets creative with... 29