Security video shows Kenyan soldiers looting mall during and after terrorist attack
KAMPALA, Uganda — Men in fatigues walked out of a store in Nairobi's Westgate Mall like ordinary shoppers, holding plastic bags heavy with unknown items after Islamic extremists staged an attack. Others looked behind counters as they descended into the shopping center to fight the militants, and lifted items.
In security camera video seen by The Associated Press Sunday, some members of Kenya's armed forces appeared to loot a store during the four-day siege of what used to be Nairobi's most upscale mall. At least 67 people were killed in the attack.
Kenya's security forces have previously denied any wrongdoing.
Soon after the attack began on Sept. 21 Kenyan officials put a security cordon around the mall, allowing only security forces and a few government personnel to pass through. When the attack was over, some who owned shops inside the mall complained of looting.
Mobile phones were ripped from displays, cash registers emptied, and even alcohol stocks plundered, according to AP reporters at the scene after the siege ended.
Public servants in Kenya — including police, firefighters and soldiers —are poorly paid and frequently accused of corruption.
An investigation into a massive fire at Nairobi's airport in August revealed that first responders had looted electronics, a bank and an ATM during and after the blaze.
In the case of the Westgate attack, a team of Kenyan lawmakers that investigated the looting allegations cleared soldiers of any wrongdoing.
The Somali Islamic extremist group al-Shabab claimed responsibly for the mall attack, saying it was in retribution for Kenya's military involvement in Somalia.
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal, 'has...
- The top 10 highest-paid female CEOs
- Feds release sage grouse conservation plans...
- South Africa shaken by FIFA corruption probe
- Study says girls seek sisterhood in the...
- Neverland, former home of Michael Jackson, on...
- Administration asks skeptical judge to toss...
- Psychiatrist: Colorado theater shooter 'knew...
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal,... 30
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 14
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- Gays wake up to changed Ireland, let... 12
- US to 'fine tune' Iraq strategy in... 12
- Family stress and poverty affect... 12
- The Rohingyas: A look into one of the... 9
- Administration asks skeptical judge to... 8