Churches facing challenge as congregations age, younger generations move away
It's important for church members to display the benefits of the Lord to the community and invite people to church services, he said.
"Most people come to a church for the first time because a friend or relative invited them," Ballard said. "What's going to get people to come in is our members inviting people."
Usually, church services and revivals are attended by people who are already Christian, so it's up to members to invite others, he said.
"That's the key to church growth," Ballard said. "A person becomes a Christian because someone comes up to them and shows them how to live."
Pettus thinks more people are coming to the conclusion they need to put their trust in something bigger because recent issues like the financial meltdown have shown people how fragile man-made constructs like government can be.
"I believe people are coming to the reality that there's something bigger," he said. "There's a greater battle that is taking place, and we as people are not capable of providing our own answer."
People are seeing that in a secular society, they can be kicked to the curb or forgotten, but Christ says everyone has value, he said.
"In all generations and all cultures, people want to know that they are loved and their lives matter," Pettus said. "And the only way I can see that happening is through Jesus Christ."
- Wright Words: Despite horrific fire, Mormon...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- ‘Blood moon’ sets off apocalyptic...
- LDS Church releases YouTube video as part of...
- 'Heaven is for Real' delivers a theological...
- Passover, a holiday for all, starts with a...
- Ask Angela: With so few choices, should I...
- Obama: Religious intolerance has ‘no...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 74
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 67
- Ask Angela: With so few choices, should... 67
- In our opinion: The Ten Commandments in... 50
- Gospel about Jesus' wife likely an... 45
- LDS Church releases YouTube video as... 22
- Passover, a holiday for all, starts... 19
- Bible's U.S. popularity steady, but... 14