Churches facing challenge as congregations age, younger generations move away
It's important for church members to display the benefits of the Lord to the community and invite people to church services, he said.
"Most people come to a church for the first time because a friend or relative invited them," Ballard said. "What's going to get people to come in is our members inviting people."
Usually, church services and revivals are attended by people who are already Christian, so it's up to members to invite others, he said.
"That's the key to church growth," Ballard said. "A person becomes a Christian because someone comes up to them and shows them how to live."
Pettus thinks more people are coming to the conclusion they need to put their trust in something bigger because recent issues like the financial meltdown have shown people how fragile man-made constructs like government can be.
"I believe people are coming to the reality that there's something bigger," he said. "There's a greater battle that is taking place, and we as people are not capable of providing our own answer."
People are seeing that in a secular society, they can be kicked to the curb or forgotten, but Christ says everyone has value, he said.
"In all generations and all cultures, people want to know that they are loved and their lives matter," Pettus said. "And the only way I can see that happening is through Jesus Christ."
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood' by...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- 10 things to do with an LDS account
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 62
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 50
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 34
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 30
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 28
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20