"GHOST TIME," by Courtney Eldridge, Skyscape, $17.99, 418 pages (f) (ages 16 and up)
Courtney Eldridge's young adult debut, "Ghost Time," follows Thea Denny as she goes from hating school and home life to falling in love with the older, new guy at school, Cam. But when Cam disappears, her imperfect life falls even further into disarray, and she will need to figure out who he really was and what that means to her past, present and future.
"Ghost Time" is an original butterfly-effect type of thriller full of mystery and intrigue. While the format is confusing with its stream-of-consciousness narration and chapters alternating between the past and the future, the voice is strong and the characters are realistic. The ending leaves more than enough questions unanswered to lead the reader into the upcoming sequel.
It includes frequent profanity and some sexual content.
— Tara Creel
"INHUMAN," by Kat Falls, Scholastic, $17.99, 373 pages (f) (ages 16 and up)
"Inhuman" is the first book in a series detailing a post-apocalypse world where humans live in fear of a virus that turns them into wild animals.
The West has become a safe haven for humans to live free of the virus on the other side of a gigantic quarantine wall. But early on, 16-year-old Delaney learns she must venture into the East, or the "Feral Zone," in order to save her father.
Author Kat Falls' "Inhuman" is a fast-paced thriller, full of action and mysteries to be discovered. It's wildly entertaining and worth reading.
It contains depictions of bloody violence, mild language and mild sensuality.
— Nathan Sorensen
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Harry Potter trivia quiz: Can you get 10...
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Motherhood Matters: How to control a teenager
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of...
- Managing your loved one's digital estate...
- Guest commentary: Kids don't need to train...
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 14
- It's safe to vaccinate kids —... 10
- Does getting married really increase... 8
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects... 5
- Bills aim to bring marriage, family law... 4
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- Many adults delay parenthood for these... 3
- Guest commentary: Kids don't need to... 3