"GHOST TIME," by Courtney Eldridge, Skyscape, $17.99, 418 pages (f) (ages 16 and up)
Courtney Eldridge's young adult debut, "Ghost Time," follows Thea Denny as she goes from hating school and home life to falling in love with the older, new guy at school, Cam. But when Cam disappears, her imperfect life falls even further into disarray, and she will need to figure out who he really was and what that means to her past, present and future.
"Ghost Time" is an original butterfly-effect type of thriller full of mystery and intrigue. While the format is confusing with its stream-of-consciousness narration and chapters alternating between the past and the future, the voice is strong and the characters are realistic. The ending leaves more than enough questions unanswered to lead the reader into the upcoming sequel.
It includes frequent profanity and some sexual content.
— Tara Creel
"INHUMAN," by Kat Falls, Scholastic, $17.99, 373 pages (f) (ages 16 and up)
"Inhuman" is the first book in a series detailing a post-apocalypse world where humans live in fear of a virus that turns them into wild animals.
The West has become a safe haven for humans to live free of the virus on the other side of a gigantic quarantine wall. But early on, 16-year-old Delaney learns she must venture into the East, or the "Feral Zone," in order to save her father.
Author Kat Falls' "Inhuman" is a fast-paced thriller, full of action and mysteries to be discovered. It's wildly entertaining and worth reading.
It contains depictions of bloody violence, mild language and mild sensuality.
— Nathan Sorensen
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- 'American Idol' alum Brooke White creates...
- Over and out: TV flops, exits and endings in...
- 4 interactive ways to teach your kids about...
- The 37 most charitable celebrities
- Christmas 1914: The day even WWI showed humanity
- Some communities suggest penalizing parents...
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey... 8
- Some communities suggest penalizing... 5
- School lunch 'blech' factor may go down... 4
- 'Five Armies' brings the Hobbit trilogy... 4
- Why you should think twice before... 3
- Want a smart kid? Stay away from these... 2
- Bittersweet Christmas: A woman ponders... 2