"GHOST TIME," by Courtney Eldridge, Skyscape, $17.99, 418 pages (f) (ages 16 and up)
Courtney Eldridge's young adult debut, "Ghost Time," follows Thea Denny as she goes from hating school and home life to falling in love with the older, new guy at school, Cam. But when Cam disappears, her imperfect life falls even further into disarray, and she will need to figure out who he really was and what that means to her past, present and future.
"Ghost Time" is an original butterfly-effect type of thriller full of mystery and intrigue. While the format is confusing with its stream-of-consciousness narration and chapters alternating between the past and the future, the voice is strong and the characters are realistic. The ending leaves more than enough questions unanswered to lead the reader into the upcoming sequel.
It includes frequent profanity and some sexual content.
— Tara Creel
"INHUMAN," by Kat Falls, Scholastic, $17.99, 373 pages (f) (ages 16 and up)
"Inhuman" is the first book in a series detailing a post-apocalypse world where humans live in fear of a virus that turns them into wild animals.
The West has become a safe haven for humans to live free of the virus on the other side of a gigantic quarantine wall. But early on, 16-year-old Delaney learns she must venture into the East, or the "Feral Zone," in order to save her father.
Author Kat Falls' "Inhuman" is a fast-paced thriller, full of action and mysteries to be discovered. It's wildly entertaining and worth reading.
It contains depictions of bloody violence, mild language and mild sensuality.
— Nathan Sorensen
- The top 10 dream colleges in 2015
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy Fallon...
- What makes marriage hard? These 5 things...
- The Clean Cut: Time-lapse video captures...
- The Clean Cut: BYU students' video parody...
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood... 53
- What makes marriage hard? These 5... 17
- 5 underrated Disney movies 13
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy... 9
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Baby boomers,... 6
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: We pay a price... 5
- What parents can do at home to prepare... 3
- What accounts for the cinematic... 3