TUCSON, Ariz. — BYU received a commitment from tight end prospect Matt Bushman, who announced his decision in a press conference on Monday.
Bushman is a 6-foot-6, 215 pound two-sport star who chose the Cougars over programs such as Arizona, Utah, Colorado, San Diego State and Nevada.
"BYU is the best program for me and really the only program I've ever wanted to play for," Bushman said. "It's the school where most my family attended and they all had great experiences. I want that same type of experience."
Bushman is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and will serve a mission before enrolling at BYU. He'll sign with BYU as part of the 2014 class in February.
When he returns from his mission he plans to dedicate his first year to playing football, but will likely opt to play baseball as well.
"I've talked to BYU coaches a lot about it and they let me know they're fine with me trying both sports as long as I dedicate myself completely to football the year I get back," Bushman said. "I like both sports a lot and I'm excited to play both while at BYU."
Bushman is rated as the No. 46 tight end prospect nationally by Scout.com and is rated as a 3-star prospect by both Scout and Rivals.com. He's a three-year starter for Sabino High School and this season has 40 receptions for 992 yards and 16 touchdowns.
He batted .438 for the Sabino baseball team last season and tallied eight home runs.
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 189
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 94
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50