BYU football: Arizonan TE Matt Bushman commits to Cougars
TUCSON, Ariz. — BYU received a commitment from tight end prospect Matt Bushman, who announced his decision in a press conference on Monday.
Bushman is a 6-foot-6, 215 pound two-sport star who chose the Cougars over programs such as Arizona, Utah, Colorado, San Diego State and Nevada.
"BYU is the best program for me and really the only program I've ever wanted to play for," Bushman said. "It's the school where most my family attended and they all had great experiences. I want that same type of experience."
Bushman is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and will serve a mission before enrolling at BYU. He'll sign with BYU as part of the 2014 class in February.
When he returns from his mission he plans to dedicate his first year to playing football, but will likely opt to play baseball as well.
"I've talked to BYU coaches a lot about it and they let me know they're fine with me trying both sports as long as I dedicate myself completely to football the year I get back," Bushman said. "I like both sports a lot and I'm excited to play both while at BYU."
Bushman is rated as the No. 46 tight end prospect nationally by Scout.com and is rated as a 3-star prospect by both Scout and Rivals.com. He's a three-year starter for Sabino High School and this season has 40 receptions for 992 yards and 16 touchdowns.
He batted .438 for the Sabino baseball team last season and tallied eight home runs.
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 1
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four is my...
- Morning links: Motekiai Langi's path to BYU;...
- College football countdown No. 42: BYU...
- Annual instate college basketball...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond):...
- Brad Rock: Big 12 and BYU overshadow instate...
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU sports is...
- Morning links: National college... 93
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 87
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 75
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 55
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Morning links: Motekiai Langi's path to... 17