BYU football: Arizonan TE Matt Bushman commits to Cougars
TUCSON, Ariz. — BYU received a commitment from tight end prospect Matt Bushman, who announced his decision in a press conference on Monday.
Bushman is a 6-foot-6, 215 pound two-sport star who chose the Cougars over programs such as Arizona, Utah, Colorado, San Diego State and Nevada.
"BYU is the best program for me and really the only program I've ever wanted to play for," Bushman said. "It's the school where most my family attended and they all had great experiences. I want that same type of experience."
Bushman is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and will serve a mission before enrolling at BYU. He'll sign with BYU as part of the 2014 class in February.
When he returns from his mission he plans to dedicate his first year to playing football, but will likely opt to play baseball as well.
"I've talked to BYU coaches a lot about it and they let me know they're fine with me trying both sports as long as I dedicate myself completely to football the year I get back," Bushman said. "I like both sports a lot and I'm excited to play both while at BYU."
Bushman is rated as the No. 46 tight end prospect nationally by Scout.com and is rated as a 3-star prospect by both Scout and Rivals.com. He's a three-year starter for Sabino High School and this season has 40 receptions for 992 yards and 16 touchdowns.
He batted .438 for the Sabino baseball team last season and tallied eight home runs.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 36
- Peavler: Why the UConn game won't be a... 36
- BYU Cougars video: Jeff Call tells us... 33
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 33