SCOTT NICHOLS, Bingham, football: Nobody has been more dominant the past few weeks than this Bingham senior. It's probably not even close.
Facing two of the best teams in 5A the past two weeks — Brighton and Jordan — Nichols has scored eight total touchdowns and has eclipsed 600 all-purpose yards.
In last week's 48-27 win over Jordan, Nichols rushed for three touchdowns, added a kick return and receiving TD to finish with 363 all-purpose yards. The week before he rushed for 214 yards and 3 TDs against Brighton.
"He's the hardest working kid I've coached in 30 years. I'll go on record and say that, and anybody that I've ever coached can call 'em up," said Bingham coach Dave Peck. "This kid is unbelievable and you never hear him say a word. He leads by example."
BREEZY TURLEY, Davis, tennis: It isn't her overwhelming serve or strong backhand that make Breezy Turley one of the state's best tennis players. The junior earned her third consecutive state title, and first state championship at first singles, with mental toughness.
"Athletically, she doesn't have a weakness you can exploit," said Davis head coach Andy Wahlstrom. "With a lot of tennis players, you can go deep to a back hand or they don't have a good second serve, and you can go after that and exploit it. She has an all-around strong game. But on top of that, in tennis you can beat yourself if you mentally break down. It really is as much a mental game as it is physical. And Breezy is one who has a very tough mental game."
The honor student won state championships at second singles as a freshman and a sophomore. She led the Darts to their first girls state tennis title in school history as she and her teammates swept the singles competition. In the tough semifinal match she played against Lone Peak, she dropped the first set, and it was the first set she'd lost in high school tennis.
"She came back and won 6-1, 6-0," said Wahlstrom. "This is a girl who can't be shaken."
To nominate a prep athlete of the week, contact prep editor James Edward at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 4: Ranking the...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Branden Bowen commits...
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- BYU football: No rest for BYU defense during...
- Ute coach Kyle Whittingham congratulates...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Knuckleheads with...
- Pac-12 conference is off to strong start in 2014
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 163
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 112
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 84
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads... 28