Social Security Q&A: SSI for dependents; Medicare help
Bradley C Bower, AP
Q: I am receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Can my children receive dependent’s benefits based on my benefits?
A: No. SSI benefits are based on the needs of one individual and are paid only to the qualifying person. Disabled children are potentially eligible for SSI, but there are no spouse’s, dependent children’s, or survivors benefits payable as there are with Social Security benefits. For more information, see our publication, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), available online at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs. Simply type the title of the publication in the publication search box on the left side of the page. You also may want to read Understanding Supplemental Security Income (SSI), available at www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/text-understanding-ssi.htm. For even more information, visit our website at www.socialsecurity.gov.
Q: Is it true that if you have low income you can get help paying your Medicare premiums?
A: Yes. If your income and resources are limited, your state may be able to help with your Medicare Part B premium, deductibles, and coinsurance amounts. State rules vary on the income and resources that apply. Contact your State or local medical assistance, social services, or welfare office, or call the Medicare hotline, 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227), and ask about the Medicare Savings Programs. If you have limited income and resources, you also may be able to get Extra Help paying for prescription drug coverage under Medicare Part D. Learn more at www.socialsecurity.gov/prescriptionhelp. Also, see our publication, Medicare, at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs. Type the title of the publication in the publication search box on the left side of the page. For even more information, visit our website at www.socialsecurity.gov.
(This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at 800-772-1213. For more information, visit www.socialsecurity.gov. )
© 2013, McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Insights from the Behavioral Science Guy:...
- Dave Ramsey says: Pets and rental properties...
- Laundry Love: Groups across the nation are...
- Down payment for love: The costs and benefits...
- Freelancers and millennials help usher in the...
- 6 financial moves to prevent sleepless nights
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Netflix unveils new way to share recommendations
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- Freelancers and millennials help usher... 11
- Applications for US unemployment aid... 4
- Down payment for love: The costs and... 4
- US consumer spending dips 0.1 percent 2
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its... 2
- Some fear auto industry returning to... 1