Damascus is believed to have thousands of long-range missiles that can reach targets almost anywhere inside Israel, its arch enemy.
In the interview, Assad said that ridding Syria of its chemical weapons would present "neither a moral nor a political loss."
"Developing Syria's missile deterrent force that can be used from the first moments of war ended the necessity of chemical weapons,' Assad was quoted as saying.
Asked about the OPCW getting the Nobel prize, Assad attempted an apparent joke, saying, "this prize should have been mine."
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and the U.N-Arab League envoy for Syria said an international conference to set up a Syrian transitional government must be organized and held as soon as possible.
Kerry said Syria urgently needs a transitional government and that it is imperative to get the so-called "Geneva II" conference organized by a mid-November target.
He also said Assad "has lost the legitimacy to be able to be a cohesive force that could bring people together."
However, it's not clear if the Syrian political opposition will attend.
In other developments, Syrians lost power Monday in several regions in the country's center as well as areas on the Mediterranean coast but there was no indication if the power cut was related to the conflict or result of sabotage.
SANA quoted Minister of Electricity Imad Khamis as saying that a malfunction at a power station had caused the outage. Khamis said maintenance work was underway and that power will gradually return in the coming hours.
Associated Press writers Diaa Hadid and Karin Laub in Beirut, and Mike Corder in Amsterdam, Netherlands, contributed reporting.
- Polygamous Montana trio applies for wedding...
- 'You can see the jaw marks': Pleasant Grove...
- 'A beautiful day' in Haiti: Early converts...
- Episcopal Church becomes third Protestant...
- Winton's rescue of Jewish children revealed...
- The U.S. women’s national soccer team...
- In our opinion: Supreme Court ruling for...
- Jerusalem family finds a 2,000-year-old...
- Polygamous Montana trio applies for... 110
- Oklahoma court: Ten Commandments... 53
- Religious schools and universities on... 48
- Episcopal Church becomes third... 39
- Dan Liljenquist: Time to relegate the... 25
- NBC to Donald Trump: You're fired 24
- Emails show top administration... 17
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13