Damascus is believed to have thousands of long-range missiles that can reach targets almost anywhere inside Israel, its arch enemy.
In the interview, Assad said that ridding Syria of its chemical weapons would present "neither a moral nor a political loss."
"Developing Syria's missile deterrent force that can be used from the first moments of war ended the necessity of chemical weapons,' Assad was quoted as saying.
Asked about the OPCW getting the Nobel prize, Assad attempted an apparent joke, saying, "this prize should have been mine."
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and the U.N-Arab League envoy for Syria said an international conference to set up a Syrian transitional government must be organized and held as soon as possible.
Kerry said Syria urgently needs a transitional government and that it is imperative to get the so-called "Geneva II" conference organized by a mid-November target.
He also said Assad "has lost the legitimacy to be able to be a cohesive force that could bring people together."
However, it's not clear if the Syrian political opposition will attend.
In other developments, Syrians lost power Monday in several regions in the country's center as well as areas on the Mediterranean coast but there was no indication if the power cut was related to the conflict or result of sabotage.
SANA quoted Minister of Electricity Imad Khamis as saying that a malfunction at a power station had caused the outage. Khamis said maintenance work was underway and that power will gradually return in the coming hours.
Associated Press writers Diaa Hadid and Karin Laub in Beirut, and Mike Corder in Amsterdam, Netherlands, contributed reporting.
- Mystery man who rescued driver from cliff in...
- She paid for a family's groceries and got...
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries...
- 5 arguments Republicans are using to try and...
- Families make videos to reassure patients...
- US senator says it's time to put a woman on...
- Bacteria found in this Amazonian tribe has...
- See which 10 books were most frequently...
- Faith groups urge Supreme Court to... 61
- 5 arguments Republicans are using to... 26
- Hillary Clinton faces promise, risk of... 24
- US senator says it's time to put a... 19
- Hillary Rodham Clinton completes shift... 18
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz: Drug Enforcement... 15
- Climate change plan faces high-profile... 15
- Sen. Marco Rubio promises 'a new... 13