Seth Wenig,File, Associated Press
NEW YORK — New York City police say they've arrested a relative in the death of a child nicknamed Baby Hope whose her body was discovered inside a picnic cooler in 1991.
Police announced Saturday that the girl's 52-year-old cousin, Conrado Juarez, had admitted sexually assaulting and killing her — a dramatic turnaround in a notorious cold case.
The child's name and the circumstances of her death were a mystery for years. She was thought to be about 4 years old. But this week police announced that a new tip and a DNA test had allowed them to identify the child's mother.
Now they are also revealing the slain girl's name: Angelica Castillo.
It wasn't clear whether Juarez had a lawyer.
The child's naked, malnourished body was discovered beside the Henry Hudson Parkway.
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels, with or...
- Sex education should start sooner, study finds
- Witnesses at Utah trial: No security-camera...
- Sorting out the claims after pipe break: Who...
- The creepiest Internet-related happenings of...
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 53
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 47
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 43
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 37
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias... 30
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 28
- House leaders abandon border bill 25
- GOP-led House approves lawsuit against... 14