Seth Wenig,File, Associated Press
NEW YORK — New York City police say they've arrested a relative in the death of a child nicknamed Baby Hope whose her body was discovered inside a picnic cooler in 1991.
Police announced Saturday that the girl's 52-year-old cousin, Conrado Juarez, had admitted sexually assaulting and killing her — a dramatic turnaround in a notorious cold case.
The child's name and the circumstances of her death were a mystery for years. She was thought to be about 4 years old. But this week police announced that a new tip and a DNA test had allowed them to identify the child's mother.
Now they are also revealing the slain girl's name: Angelica Castillo.
It wasn't clear whether Juarez had a lawyer.
The child's naked, malnourished body was discovered beside the Henry Hudson Parkway.
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby...
- Federal appeals court deals serious blow to...
- Train with plane crash bodies leaves rebel town
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard to...
- Survey: Public 'warm' to Jews, Catholics and...
- BYU-Idaho, Rexburg experience flooding after...
- To encourage saving, some states turn to prizes
- Obama will sign order barring gay,...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 44
- Obama will sign order barring gay,... 25
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard... 21
- Tea party groups' suit against IRS... 20
- US appeals court tosses Oklahoma gay... 18
- Ukraine: 295 on Malaysia plane shot... 14
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12
- Obama voices concern about casualties... 11