Seth Wenig,File, Associated Press
NEW YORK — New York City police say they've arrested a relative in the death of a child nicknamed Baby Hope whose her body was discovered inside a picnic cooler in 1991.
Police announced Saturday that the girl's 52-year-old cousin, Conrado Juarez, had admitted sexually assaulting and killing her — a dramatic turnaround in a notorious cold case.
The child's name and the circumstances of her death were a mystery for years. She was thought to be about 4 years old. But this week police announced that a new tip and a DNA test had allowed them to identify the child's mother.
Now they are also revealing the slain girl's name: Angelica Castillo.
It wasn't clear whether Juarez had a lawyer.
The child's naked, malnourished body was discovered beside the Henry Hudson Parkway.
- Freelancers and millennials help usher in the...
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach Europe...
- Corvette Museum to completely fill in...
- Mexico authorities stage midnight migrant raid
- Student evades monitors, spreads Ebola to...
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- Obama to attend wedding of longtime personal...
- US delivers military aid to Lebanese army
- A New York Times article said Michael... 44
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- For the first time in American history,... 30
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn... 25
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 16
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to... 15
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14