Seth Wenig,File, Associated Press
NEW YORK — New York City police say they've arrested a relative in the death of a child nicknamed Baby Hope whose her body was discovered inside a picnic cooler in 1991.
Police announced Saturday that the girl's 52-year-old cousin, Conrado Juarez, had admitted sexually assaulting and killing her — a dramatic turnaround in a notorious cold case.
The child's name and the circumstances of her death were a mystery for years. She was thought to be about 4 years old. But this week police announced that a new tip and a DNA test had allowed them to identify the child's mother.
Now they are also revealing the slain girl's name: Angelica Castillo.
It wasn't clear whether Juarez had a lawyer.
The child's naked, malnourished body was discovered beside the Henry Hudson Parkway.
- Indiana man's confession leads to 7 bodies
- The poorest of the poor in many Third World...
- Students clean up after mayhem near pumpkin fest
- Wanted: Cities interested in hosting 2024...
- Virus expert sees 'silver lining' in Ebola...
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Africa and...
- This type of high school can increase your...
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social Security
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- Official: 2nd worker isolated within 90... 21
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 21
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 19
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 17
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 15
- Are teachers getting behind Common... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14