Seth Wenig,File, Associated Press
NEW YORK — New York City police say they've arrested a relative in the death of a child nicknamed Baby Hope whose her body was discovered inside a picnic cooler in 1991.
Police announced Saturday that the girl's 52-year-old cousin, Conrado Juarez, had admitted sexually assaulting and killing her — a dramatic turnaround in a notorious cold case.
The child's name and the circumstances of her death were a mystery for years. She was thought to be about 4 years old. But this week police announced that a new tip and a DNA test had allowed them to identify the child's mother.
Now they are also revealing the slain girl's name: Angelica Castillo.
It wasn't clear whether Juarez had a lawyer.
The child's naked, malnourished body was discovered beside the Henry Hudson Parkway.
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Scotland votes to remain part of United Kingdom
- Review: Larger iPhones eliminate reason to...
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video sentenced
- How much America wants to be taxed
- 'Gotham' actor's Penguin inspired by DC Comics
- Chiefs' Reid dedicated to domestic abuse victims
- Burger King Japan's latest meal is the new black
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 27
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 15
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 7
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 6