No love for Washington: 7 in 10 view GOP, tea party unfavorably; half view president, Democrats unfavorably
A bad sign for Democrats is that Obama has bled support among independents — 60 percent disapprove of the way Obama is handling his job, while only 16 percent approve. As he began his second term in January, independents tilted positive, 48 percent approved and 39 percent disapproved.
Obama has held onto support from Carol Cox, a 59-year-old independent from Hartville, Ohio, who says she feels the president helps people in need. She is happy to see his health care law that offers coverage to the uninsured and to people with pre-existing conditions, although she thinks the rollout could have been better. "I think he's doing an OK job," she said of the president.
But she is not happy with either party in Congress. She said the shutdown is affecting her family's investments, and she's concerned about the future of Social Security. "I'm really angry and frustrated. I can't believe how mad I am about this."
As for next year's congressional election, she said, "I would love to see just a total turnover."
The AP-GfK Poll was conducted Oct. 3-7, 2013, using KnowledgePanel, GfK's probability-based online panel. It involved online interviews with 1,227 adults and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3.4 percentage points for all respondents.
The survey was designed to be representative of the U.S. population. Respondents to the survey were first selected randomly using phone or mail survey methods and later interviewed online. Those who didn't otherwise have access to the Internet were provided with the ability to get online at no cost.
Associated Press News Survey Specialist Dennis Junius contributed to this report. Follow Nedra Pickler on Twitter at https://twitter.com/nedrapickler and Jennifer Agiesta at http://twitter.com/JennAgiesta
- Have you seen 'Age of Ultron'? Here are 50...
- LA man builds small home for homeless lady
- Floyd Mayweather wins decision over Manny...
- Here's a quiz to test your Star Wars...
- 'Avengers' sequel is second biggest US opener...
- Britain has a new princess — and...
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage' behind...
- 18 of the best made-up words from children's...
- Religious liberty issues dog Supreme... 44
- Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders: 'I am... 40
- Rage to relief in Baltimore as 6... 40
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem 25
- Michelle Singletary: Stop picking on... 21
- AP-GfK Poll: Nuanced views on gay... 16
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 12
- Many 8th graders score poorly on US... 11