WASHINGTON — The Air Force said Friday it fired the two-star general from command of its nuclear missiles in response to an investigation into alleged personal misbehavior. It was the second sacking this week of a senior commander of nuclear forces.
Maj. Gen. Michael Carey was removed from command of the 20th Air Force, which is responsible for three wings of intercontinental ballistic missiles — a total of 450 missiles at three bases across the country, according to an Air Force spokesman, Brig. Gen. Les Kodlick.
The decision was made by Lt. Gen. James Kowalski, commander of Air Force Global Strike Command. Kowalski is in charge of all Air Force nuclear weapons, including bombers. On Wednesday, the second-in-command at U.S. Strategic Command, Vice Adm. Tim Giardina, was relieved of command amid an investigation into alleged gambling issues. Strategic Command is responsible for all Air Force and Navy nuclear forces.
An internal email obtained by the AP on Friday said the allegations against Carey stem from an inspector general probe of his behavior while on an unspecified "temporary duty assignment." The email said the allegations are not related to the operational readiness of the ICBM force or recent failed inspections of ICBM units.
Kodlick said the investigation is not yet completed. He would not provide details about the alleged misbehavior by Carey except to say it does not involve sexual misconduct.
Kowalski has selected the vice commander of Air Force Global Strike Command, Maj. Gen. Jack Weinstein, to temporarily replace Carey as head of 20th Air Force.
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal, 'has...
- The 50 hardest-working cities in America,...
- The top 10 highest-paid female CEOs
- Officials say those Boston snow piles are...
- Latest on flooding: Body of missing Texas...
- Photo gallery: Aerial views of floodwaters in...
- Neverland, former home of Michael Jackson, on...
- South Africa shaken by FIFA corruption probe
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal,... 44
- US to 'fine tune' Iraq strategy in... 15
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 15
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- Census: Number of Americans on public... 10
- Administration asks skeptical judge to... 9
- Obama urges Senate to renew... 7
- $150M in bribes, dozen schemes: US... 7