Following a tip from iMediaEthics, editors at the Deseret News were alerted to a lack of proper attribution to a "round-up" story by a DeseretNews.com intern. A "round-up" story cites other journalists' work, and includes a link or links to the original story or stories. They typically also include a few quotes from the original source, usually preceded by a brief introduction.
In the case of this particular round-up, an article on WashingtonExaminer.com was referenced, but direct paragraphs from that article were not properly attributed. We immediately posted a correction to that story and began a review of all round-up stories written by the same intern. Upon reviewing all 76 round-up stories by this intern, nearly 40 were discovered to have similar failures and have been amended in the same manner.
Our analysis indicates a failure to clearly implement our own news aggregation and attribution policies during the editing process. All of the intern's round-up stories were reviewed by editors prior to posting, however, editors did not provide appropriate review for attribution. As a result, we did not catch and correct errors while teaching one of our interns industry standards. The Deseret News apologizes to those involved, including its readers. We have implemented training and tighter controls to correct such problems in the future.
General Manager, DeseretNews.com
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Actor Paul Walker dies in car crash; was...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining challenge
- Switched at birth, man raised in poverty...
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy
- Research: Native American genes have Eurasian...
- Newtown releases 911 calls showing anguish...
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's birth...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 71
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 43
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Obama declares health care law is... 20
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 19
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy 18
- Research: Native American genes have... 14