Quantcast

Egypt says attack in Sinai was suicide bomber

By Sarah El Deeb

Associated Press

Published: Monday, Oct. 7 2013 12:29 p.m. MDT

Egyptian security forces inspect the site of a suicide car bombing on a security headquarters in the southern Sinai town of el-Tor, Egypt, Monday, Oct. 7, 2013.

Mostafa Darwish, Associated Press

CAIRO — Egypt's Interior Minister says Monday's attack on a security headquarters in the southern Sinai Peninsula was the work of a suicide bomber.

Mohammed Ibrahim told The Associated Press that another attack on the country's main satellite telecommunications center in the capital appeared to be in retaliation for the killing of more than 50 supporters of the former president in clashes with security forces a day earlier.

One satellite in the center was slightly damaged by a projectile fired from a distance. Communication was not impacted.

The suicide bombing in Sinai's el-Tor town, close to the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, killed three policemen.

Ibrahim also said Islamist militants aim to "distract" and cause instability. He said: "We are at war with them, and they are in their last gasp."

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

A panel of Egyptian judges has recommended the dissolution of the Muslim Brotherhood's political party, a move that signals a widening crackdown on the group.

The judges' recommendation Monday said the party represents an outlawed group. The recommendations will be delivered to a Cairo court reviewing a case demanding the party's dissolution on Oct. 19.

The Brotherhood's party was registered in 2011, months after the ouster of President Hosni Mubarak — the first time the 85-year old organization formed a political party. It went on to win a majority in the first post-Mubarak parliament, and its leader, Mohammed Morsi, later won office as Egypt's first democratically elected leader.

Morsi was ousted in a popularly backed military coup in July. Authorities have since arrested Brotherhood leaders and cracked down on its protests.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

A drive-by shooting killed six Egyptian soldiers east of Cairo on Monday, shortly after a massive car bombing hit the security headquarters in a town near the tourist resorts of southern Sinai, killing three policemen and wounding dozens.

Also Monday, at least two rocket propelled grenades slammed into a compound housing the country's main satellite earth station in a southern Cairo suburb, security officials said.

The attacks came a day after dozens were killed when holiday celebrations marking the start of the 1973 Mideast war turned into deadly clashes across Egypt, though it was not immediately clear if Monday's violence was related.

A radical Muslim Salafi group had threatened in a statement last Friday that it would kill anyone who collaborated with the military's ongoing offensive against militants in northern Sinai, but neither the group — nor any other radical factions — claimed responsibility for any of the attacks on Monday.

The dawn attack on the earth station in the leafy suburb of Maadi in Cairo caused only minor damage to one of the giant satellite dishes in the complex. But its significance was far wider, in part because it struck at the heart of the nation's telecommunications center, making it the most serious attack in the capital since last month's assassination attempt against the country's interior minister outside his home in eastern Cairo.

A senior security official at the site said the attack did not disrupt communications, but acknowledged its "brazen" nature.

"We are expecting worse," predicted the official, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

Get The Deseret News Everywhere

Subscribe

Mobile

RSS