Medicare and Social Security remain expensive entitlement programs paid for, in large part, by working Americans, including millennials. Yet few younger workers have confidence that old-age programs will be there for them.
The unmistakable trend of all the changing millennial choices will affect policy decisions for everyone.
Fewer cars, homes and children mean fewer highways and schools — and more mass transit and coffee shops. Changing jobs frequently will make portable health insurance more important.
For all of this, millennials remain unbowed by the distorting effects of the Great Recession.
“I’m doing a job I never in a million years thought I would do or I was suited for,” Gillespie said. “It turns out I’m suited perfectly for it. And I enjoy it.”
Experts say that adaptability is common among millennials, and crucial.
Williams, the retail worker and yoga instructor, believes things will get better soon.
“I still have time,” she said. “Yoga has taught me that I can do something I enjoy and make money from it.”
Best said the Great Recession has taught her important lessons about priorities — some things matter, like family and friends. Possessions? Less significant.
And ultimately, that may be the biggest impact of the Great Recession — for all its challenges, the kids are all right.
“I feel like ‘recession’ is code for ‘we had to start actually spending (only) the money we have,’ ” Best said. “In what world is four TVs middle class?
“We’re all rich beyond our wildest dreams.”
©2013 The Kansas City Star (Kansas City, Mo.)
Visit The Kansas City Star (Kansas City, Mo.) at www.kansascity.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
GRAPHIC (from MCT Graphics, 202-383-6064): 20131007 GEN Y
- Job insecurity is the new normal. Here's how...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Which Utah city is ranked highest for upward...
- Is paying for extended warranties worth it?...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Why the 9 to 5 factory work isn't working for...
- Saving just $4 per day can make you a...
- Dave Ramsey says: There's no such thing as a...
- Job insecurity is the new normal.... 14
- Dave Ramsey says: There's no such thing... 12
- Saving just $4 per day can make you a... 11
- Why the 9 to 5 factory work isn't... 11
- What consumers need to know about chip... 6
- Is paying for extended warranties worth... 2
- Which Utah city is ranked highest for... 1
- Most children in the world are happy,... 1