CEDAR CITY, Utah (AP) — UC Davis rode workhorse running back Gabe Manzanares to a 21-3 victory over Southern Utah on Saturday, the Aggies' second straight victory after opening the season with four losses.
Manzanares rushed for 175 yards on 33 carries, including two second-quarter touchdown runs.
Manzanares, who ran for 208 yards against Idaho State last week, prospered against a Thunderbirds defense that had been only been giving up 98 yards rushing per game.
Instead, it was UC Davis (2-4, 2-0 Big Sky) that enjoyed a big day against the run, holding the Thunderbirds to 45 yards. As a result, Southern Utah turned to Aaron Cantu, who went to the air 50 times, completing 29 for 281 yards — all career highs — but throwing two interceptions.
Randy Wright threw 19 yards to TJ King for the Aggies' other score.
SUU (4-2, 1-1) was vying for its best start as NCAA Division I program.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 75
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 23
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 17
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 12