CEDAR CITY, Utah (AP) — UC Davis rode workhorse running back Gabe Manzanares to a 21-3 victory over Southern Utah on Saturday, the Aggies' second straight victory after opening the season with four losses.
Manzanares rushed for 175 yards on 33 carries, including two second-quarter touchdown runs.
Manzanares, who ran for 208 yards against Idaho State last week, prospered against a Thunderbirds defense that had been only been giving up 98 yards rushing per game.
Instead, it was UC Davis (2-4, 2-0 Big Sky) that enjoyed a big day against the run, holding the Thunderbirds to 45 yards. As a result, Southern Utah turned to Aaron Cantu, who went to the air 50 times, completing 29 for 281 yards — all career highs — but throwing two interceptions.
Randy Wright threw 19 yards to TJ King for the Aggies' other score.
SUU (4-2, 1-1) was vying for its best start as NCAA Division I program.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU's 25-point win over UConn best margin of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 55
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 54
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48