WASHINGTON — House Speaker John Boehner is demanding the White House and congressional Democrats negotiate with congressional Republicans about ways to re-open the government and address criticisms of the president's health care law.
Boehner told reporters Friday: "This isn't some damn game." He said House Republicans still want "fairness to the American people" under the program critics call "Obamacare."
President Barack Obama has refused GOP efforts to delay a major element of the health law enacted in 2010.
House Republican Whip Kevin McCarthy says Obama's decision to cancel an Asia trip offers the "perfect opportunity to begin negotiations."
Democrats say they will negotiate budget matters with Republicans, but they will not alter the health care law.
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- Christmas 1914: The day even WWI showed humanity
- Prepackaged caramel apples linked to 4...
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,...
- What people never mention when they talk...
- Hackers warn not to release 'The Interview'...
- Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin has aneurysm
- Think your marital status is important? The...
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 32
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 14
- Taliban assault on Pakistan school... 13
- Utah football's Hackett, Orchard named... 11
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8