WASHINGTON — House Speaker John Boehner is demanding the White House and congressional Democrats negotiate with congressional Republicans about ways to re-open the government and address criticisms of the president's health care law.
Boehner told reporters Friday: "This isn't some damn game." He said House Republicans still want "fairness to the American people" under the program critics call "Obamacare."
President Barack Obama has refused GOP efforts to delay a major element of the health law enacted in 2010.
House Republican Whip Kevin McCarthy says Obama's decision to cancel an Asia trip offers the "perfect opportunity to begin negotiations."
Democrats say they will negotiate budget matters with Republicans, but they will not alter the health care law.
- Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach...
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all lovers
- NCAA settles head injury suit, will change rules
- Trial begins for Salt Lake attorney seeking...
- Democrats have million-dollar day on impeachment
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11 museum,...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 44
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 22
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- After government topples crosses in... 21
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 18
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce... 13
- Navajo Generating Station, West's... 11