Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Jasmine Goldband) PITTSBURGH OUT; HERALD-STANDARD OUT, Associated Press
PITTSBURGH — The mother of a mentally ill gunman who killed one employee and wounded five other people at a Pittsburgh psychiatric hospital is the target of a pending lawsuit to be filed by the slain worker's estate.
The document filed Thursday is a writ of summons, which doesn't set forth legal claims, but gives notice that a lawsuit will be filed by the estate of Michael Schaab, who was killed in the March 8, 2012 shootings at the Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic.
Thirty-year-old John Shick was killed by University of Pittsburgh police who responded to his rampage, and his mother, Susan, of Green Cove Springs, Fla., is listed as the only defendant.
Susan Shick is also being sued by a receptionist who was critically wounded. Her attorneys didn't immediately return calls.
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Romney casts Arkansas race as way to fight Obama
- US diplomats barred from ice bucket challenge
- A tough label to chew on: What does...
- Twitter tries to block images of James Foley...
- Federal judge: Florida gay-marriage ban...
- Israeli airstrike kills 3 senior Hamas leaders
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S....
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 108
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 26
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S.... 26
- Police, protesters collide again in... 25
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 23
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 14
- Another American hostage at risk by... 12