Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Jasmine Goldband) PITTSBURGH OUT; HERALD-STANDARD OUT, Associated Press
PITTSBURGH — The mother of a mentally ill gunman who killed one employee and wounded five other people at a Pittsburgh psychiatric hospital is the target of a pending lawsuit to be filed by the slain worker's estate.
The document filed Thursday is a writ of summons, which doesn't set forth legal claims, but gives notice that a lawsuit will be filed by the estate of Michael Schaab, who was killed in the March 8, 2012 shootings at the Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic.
Thirty-year-old John Shick was killed by University of Pittsburgh police who responded to his rampage, and his mother, Susan, of Green Cove Springs, Fla., is listed as the only defendant.
Susan Shick is also being sued by a receptionist who was critically wounded. Her attorneys didn't immediately return calls.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound of...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million viewers
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- Obama administration will allow green energy...
- Are extended warranties on gadgets worth the...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 105
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 31
- Colorado court hears discrimination... 29
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Research: Native American genes have... 23
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23
- Obama declares health care law is... 21