Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Jasmine Goldband) PITTSBURGH OUT; HERALD-STANDARD OUT, Associated Press
PITTSBURGH — The mother of a mentally ill gunman who killed one employee and wounded five other people at a Pittsburgh psychiatric hospital is the target of a pending lawsuit to be filed by the slain worker's estate.
The document filed Thursday is a writ of summons, which doesn't set forth legal claims, but gives notice that a lawsuit will be filed by the estate of Michael Schaab, who was killed in the March 8, 2012 shootings at the Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic.
Thirty-year-old John Shick was killed by University of Pittsburgh police who responded to his rampage, and his mother, Susan, of Green Cove Springs, Fla., is listed as the only defendant.
Susan Shick is also being sued by a receptionist who was critically wounded. Her attorneys didn't immediately return calls.
- Photos: UCLA wades through damage caused by...
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the time'
- Child sex trafficking bust reveals worries...
- Probe exposes flaws behind HealthCare.gov...
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should offer...
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit against Obama
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias...
- GOP-led House approves lawsuit against Obama
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 45
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 44
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 27
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 19
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 18
- Democrats have million-dollar day on... 13
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule;... 12