Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Jasmine Goldband) PITTSBURGH OUT; HERALD-STANDARD OUT, Associated Press
PITTSBURGH — The mother of a mentally ill gunman who killed one employee and wounded five other people at a Pittsburgh psychiatric hospital is the target of a pending lawsuit to be filed by the slain worker's estate.
The document filed Thursday is a writ of summons, which doesn't set forth legal claims, but gives notice that a lawsuit will be filed by the estate of Michael Schaab, who was killed in the March 8, 2012 shootings at the Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic.
Thirty-year-old John Shick was killed by University of Pittsburgh police who responded to his rampage, and his mother, Susan, of Green Cove Springs, Fla., is listed as the only defendant.
Susan Shick is also being sued by a receptionist who was critically wounded. Her attorneys didn't immediately return calls.
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Scholarship lotteries, popular with everyone,...
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt list,...
- Wearing this one thing can help boost a...
- Top 15 states for education
- Striking or spanking a child is not a...
- US tobacco growers brace for tougher competition
- School police stock up on free military gear
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 68
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Obama 'confident' of Islamic State... 19
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 12
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 12
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 6
- School police stock up on free military... 6