ATLANTA — A man accused of slapping a crying toddler on a jet is set to go on trial this week.
Joe Rickey Hundley faces a misdemeanor simple assault charge in the February incident, and his trial is scheduled to start Thursday in federal court in Atlanta.
Authorities say Hundley used a racial slur to refer to the 19-month-old boy and then hit him under the right eye as the flight from Minneapolis began its descent to the Atlanta airport.
Hundley, who has pleaded not guilty, faces up to a year in prison if convicted. His lawyers say Hundley's son was in a coma in Atlanta, and he was flying there to decide whether to take him off life support.
Hundley lived in Idaho at the time but has since moved to North Carolina.
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby...
- Train with plane crash bodies leaves rebel town
- BYU-Idaho, Rexburg experience flooding after...
- Dutch tell rebels: Train full of bodies must...
- Survey: Public 'warm' to Jews, Catholics and...
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard to...
- To encourage saving, some states turn to prizes
- Obama will sign order barring gay,...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 35
- Obama will sign order barring gay,... 22
- Tea party groups' suit against IRS... 20
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard... 18
- US appeals court tosses Oklahoma gay... 17
- Ukraine: 295 on Malaysia plane shot... 14
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12
- Liberals swoon for Elizabeth Warren,... 9