ATLANTA — A man accused of slapping a crying toddler on a jet is set to go on trial this week.
Joe Rickey Hundley faces a misdemeanor simple assault charge in the February incident, and his trial is scheduled to start Thursday in federal court in Atlanta.
Authorities say Hundley used a racial slur to refer to the 19-month-old boy and then hit him under the right eye as the flight from Minneapolis began its descent to the Atlanta airport.
Hundley, who has pleaded not guilty, faces up to a year in prison if convicted. His lawyers say Hundley's son was in a coma in Atlanta, and he was flying there to decide whether to take him off life support.
Hundley lived in Idaho at the time but has since moved to North Carolina.
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Romney casts Arkansas race as way to fight Obama
- US diplomats barred from ice bucket challenge
- Ice bucket challenge goes awry, firefighters...
- Bridezilla, meet 'Bridechilla'
- Federal judge: Florida gay-marriage ban...
- How Twitter forced the news media to pay...
- 2 American Ebola patients released from hospital
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 109
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S.... 29
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 26
- Police, protesters collide again in... 25
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 23
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 15
- Another American hostage at risk by... 12