ATLANTA — A man accused of slapping a crying toddler on a jet is set to go on trial this week.
Joe Rickey Hundley faces a misdemeanor simple assault charge in the February incident, and his trial is scheduled to start Thursday in federal court in Atlanta.
Authorities say Hundley used a racial slur to refer to the 19-month-old boy and then hit him under the right eye as the flight from Minneapolis began its descent to the Atlanta airport.
Hundley, who has pleaded not guilty, faces up to a year in prison if convicted. His lawyers say Hundley's son was in a coma in Atlanta, and he was flying there to decide whether to take him off life support.
Hundley lived in Idaho at the time but has since moved to North Carolina.
- Striking or spanking a child is not a...
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a threat to...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt list,...
- Child poverty just dropped for the first time...
- School police stock up on free military gear
- Catholic leaders' deliberations over divorce...
- Here's why church choirs are dying
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 69
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 12
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 12
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 11
- School police stock up on free military... 10
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 7