ATLANTA — A man accused of slapping a crying toddler on a jet is set to go on trial this week.
Joe Rickey Hundley faces a misdemeanor simple assault charge in the February incident, and his trial is scheduled to start Thursday in federal court in Atlanta.
Authorities say Hundley used a racial slur to refer to the 19-month-old boy and then hit him under the right eye as the flight from Minneapolis began its descent to the Atlanta airport.
Hundley, who has pleaded not guilty, faces up to a year in prison if convicted. His lawyers say Hundley's son was in a coma in Atlanta, and he was flying there to decide whether to take him off life support.
Hundley lived in Idaho at the time but has since moved to North Carolina.
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas was...
- Hot spot: Yellowstone road melts, sites closed
- Texas shooting suspect collapses twice in court
- Inventor pushes solar panels for roads, highways
- Gallup poll: Mormons like Obama least of all...
- Grandma says Texas massacre survivor saved lives
- Virginia dad plants flag in area between...
- Gunman in delivery man garb kills 4 kids,...
- Utah to appeal same-sex marriage ruling... 64
- Why thousands of migrant children are... 45
- 83% of Utahns say Congress needs to act... 44
- Boehner, McConnell blast Obama border... 38
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas... 30
- Thousands of unaccompanied migrant... 26
- President Obama aims to shift border... 22
- Obama seeks $3.7 billion to deal with... 20